Selenium Android Server

• Replies:11
Christoph Jot
  • Forum posts: 396

May 22, 2012, 12:32:14 PM via Website

Hello, i want to install the selenium android server on my Galaxy Tab.
according to this manual: http://code.google.com/p/selenium/wiki/AndroidDriver#Setup_the_Device
i tried to install it with help of the "Terminal Emulator". But with the command
1adb devices
I dont get my Serial ID. It says:
"List of devices attached" followed by a empty line.
So i now downloaded three different Apps to get the serial ID, but each gives me a different one.
At all I tried the different ones because the command
1adb -s 5431343... -e install -r android-server.apk
said each time:
"errror: device not found"
I also now tried it without the SerialID and the other parameters, but its the same error.
The normal installation by clicking the apk works, but i dont know if its as "good" as the other method.
Can someone help?
addition: i also tried getting root acess, by typing "su" and than allowed in Superuser, but my linux experince is to bad to know if that is enough...

Mitsubishi Trium Astral Loop -> Siemens C55 -> Sony Ericsson K750i -> Samsung SGH G810i -> Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (P7500) & Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) -> OnePlus One

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 22, 2012, 3:30:22 PM via Website

Hey Jeremiah, are you around to help with this?

Christoph Jot

May 22, 2012, 5:50:00 PM via Website

hmmm?

Mitsubishi Trium Astral Loop -> Siemens C55 -> Sony Ericsson K750i -> Samsung SGH G810i -> Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (P7500) & Samsung Galaxy S3 (I9300) -> OnePlus One

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

May 23, 2012, 4:55:09 AM via Website

Sounds like your device is not connecting properly to your computer. The computer your trying to connect it to is a linux machine? I found this post on connect to ubunto: http://kobablog.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/connecting-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-via-adb-on-ubuntu/ If your trying to connect to a windows pc, download the samsung kies software which has the windows driver. Also when you plug the tab into usb make sure you select pc mode on the tablet not usb mass storage.

Jeremiah

May 23, 2012, 4:57:13 AM via Website

Also go in to the settings on the tab, to applications and make sure usb debugging is turned on.

Christoph Jot

May 23, 2012, 5:01:19 PM via Website

I later want to connect to a Win 7 computer. I've installed Kies and the Android SDK. I read in an other forum, that there the actual drivers included?! (They were installed).
usb debugging is turned on, but is the "pc mode" the "MTP" mode or should i select the "PTP" mode (MTP is activated)?
But anyway, does the windows driver and the connection Mode have something in common with installing an app on device (tablet)?

Maybe it wasn't really clear what i was planing to do!? I want to test an App, which was developed with PhoneGap (from a WebApp to a native App). For this proposal I tried installing Seleniums Android Server on my Tab.

Jeremiah

May 23, 2012, 10:29:05 PM via Website

To install the app, with adb, just type adb install <filename> from the command line. Also include the path/folder your app is in on your computer. So if you have the .apk on your desktop you would type adb install C:\Users\username\Desktop\package.apk

You can also install the app by copying it to your sd card, or if the tablet doesn't have removable sd card, connect it to the computer as mass storage and copy the file to the tablet. Then just open the file on the tablet and it should give you the option to install it. If the tablet doesn't have it's own filemanager to open the file once copied to the tablet; get a filemanager such as Astro Filemanager from the android market.

Christoph Jot

May 24, 2012, 7:17:40 AM via Website

I know how to install an app (usually).
But in the manual (postet in the first post) is written:
1Download the Android server from our downloads page. To install the application do:
3$./adb -s <serialId> -e install -r android-server.apk
Therefore my question if a "adb install - installation" is as the "normal" one. Can I read from ur reply it is?

Ndot India
  • Forum posts: 24

May 24, 2012, 1:28:59 PM via Website

I just want to know the use of selenium Android server. Is that a testing tool which is used to test the applications

Android application development

Christoph Jot

May 24, 2012, 11:45:02 PM via Website

Yes, but only for webapps.

Jeremiah

May 25, 2012, 4:37:30 AM via Website

Christoph J.
I know how to install an app (usually).
But in the manual (postet in the first post) is written:
1Download the Android server from our downloads page. To install the application do:
3$./adb -s <serialId> -e install -r android-server.apk
Therefore my question if a "adb install - installation" is as the "normal" one. Can I read from ur reply it is?

This is the same as a normal install but with some extra options. For instance -s tells it which device to install to, but since you should only have one device connected at the time you probably don't even need to specify the -s option. -e option tells it to install to the emulator. Since your trying to install to a galaxy tab, I believe you definitely don't need to specify -e. The -r option tells it to reinstall if there is already a copy of the app on your device, so this is probably not needed either. Have you been able to connect adb to your galaxy tab yet?

— modified on May 25, 2012, 4:38:09 AM

Christoph Jot

May 26, 2012, 3:05:50 PM via Website

adb connected? No, I just tried to do the adb comand from the Terminal Emulator on my Table and installed the app now other the FileManager. how am i able to connect?