hello

• Replies:6
ndroid
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 13, 2013, 7:26:14 PM via Website

Hello,
I'm a new member. I've done some android development as part of research, but hope to have time in the future to do more development as a hobby.

ndroid

Jun 14, 2013, 1:42:19 AM via Website

hi Georg.

my research project app is a monitoring app, that provides an API for other app developers to access (sort of an abstraction to simplify monitoring). If I get time in the future to do some hobby apps, I'll probably work on context-aware applications.

ndroid

Jun 14, 2013, 2:27:16 PM via Website

yes, my research project is for grad school.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jun 25, 2013, 6:32:16 PM via Website

Hey ndroid, I have a possibly silly question: what kind of context-aware apps are you thinking about? I'm pretty new to the idea but find it pretty interesting in the sense of going beyond location-awareness and into something a little more like AI. How aware can an app get in learning contexts?

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

ndroid

Jun 25, 2013, 8:20:55 PM via Website

Hi Kris. I don't have any specific area of context-awareness I'm interested in, I find all context-aware applications fairly interesting.

It's an interesting question. There's tremendous potential in what can be done as our ability to glean context from a bunch of raw data improves, but that's still an area of active research. There's a lot of research papers on attempting to do this, but it's still in its infancy. There's probably some commercial applications that are accomplishing more than I realize, but I'm not as familiar with those. It will depend on what users are willing to share as well. For instance, calendar data can be combined with sensor data to get a better idea of what a person is doing if users are willing to share both of those.

As far as what's commercially viable already, most of it is location based. One other area that is pretty well established is determining user activity from the accelerometer (such as standing, laying, walking, running, riding in a vehicle). There's been a lot of research in this area, and they can predict activity fairly accurately now.