Will Moto X be an iphone and Galaxy S4 killer?

• Replies:2
Chris Paps
  • Forum posts: 6

Aug 13, 2013, 9:02:20 AM via Website

What's your views?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 14, 2013, 10:28:54 AM via Website

I don't think the Moto X will be, simply because it's a definite mid-range device compared to the S4 and iPhone 5. But if the Moto X is indeed the basis for the Nexus 5, which would then have beefier specs piled on, then it would definitely give them both a real battering in the sales department, at least for smartphone users who want soild builds and top specs. Plus, if the Moto X 'experience' is as good as the advertising claims it is, then coupled with major hardware it could be a game changer. Maybe. Unless the Nexus 5 is based on the LG G2 instead and the Moto X stays as is. In that case, I'd say no to the question. But Motorola plan to make the Moto X a brand and will likely release a better spec version of the Moto X (which they intend to do) so you could be right!

— modified on Aug 14, 2013, 10:43:20 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Chris Paps
  • Forum posts: 6

Aug 16, 2013, 5:21:01 PM via Website

Kris you definitely got a point. The thing though is, as the word goes, that high end specs have started to become not the decisive factor when choosing a phone. In fact many people argue that even iphone 5 is not a high spec phone. And that's where Google-Motorola got in the play, focusing on user experience and customization (home screen, back cover colors etc).

So the winning challenge for Moto X becomes two fold:

1. Will the customization and a few built in apps like quick photo shooting play out well enough in the market to drive consumers buy the phone.

2. Will the phone differentiators be enough given its price to make consumers with iphones and S4's to switch to the X phone.

To be frank, given research firms' results that show iphone users declaring that 94% of them would buy an iphone again, makes switching more difficult to achieve from the current installed bases of very popular phones. On top of that, the X phone has the same (and even previous version) core andriod operating system with Smamsung's, LGs etc that have been there for a few years now spending big on successful marketing that attracted many consumers on their phone experience.

Objectively speaking, at the beggining I though Moto X was going to be a global launch targeting the middle classes that could not afford the iphones and want a decent experience on a chaper smartphone that Motorola was launching with Google. My initial thought was further justified by the words of Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside that said on the day the phone was unveiled that "If I'm a middle-class mother in Brazil I might not be able to afford an iPhone or a Galaxy" (see article on the 2nd link in below url).

www.mygooglemotox.com/

Then as days passed, no global launch plans were unveiled and Moto X appeared to be released only in the US and one carrier in Canada.

So, I dunno what to think about it. Definitely there are some holes in the information given by Motorola and Google on August 1st. Let's see how this will play out. I think they might eventually announce a global release some time soon and hope for some ground winning sales in the US to start getting in the market with this first X phone version!!