UDP broadcast to trigger video player

• Replies:0
Jonathan Bond
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 27, 2014, 5:13:09 PM via Website

Hi

I'm looking at writing an app to listed for a UDP broadcast. The broadcast would consist of two commands, CUE and GO. Any device listening would (on CUE) set mediaplayer to seek to 0. When the device received GO it would play.

I'm completely new to development but wondered if this was possible I've got mediaplayer code running successfully, but guess I need to have a UPD server setup on each device to listen to the broadcast. I don't know enough about the network specs of UDP broadcast and so wondered if broadcasting the packed in this way would allow synchronised start of the video for multiple devices. Would there be a limit to the number of devices that could be triggered (would the packed be received at all devices at the same time or would there be a lag between devices)

I've tried implementing various udp servers / clients using code i have found around the internet, but have never managed to get the device to receive packets.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be welcome. I don't want to invest a lot of time struggling my way through if UDP isn't going to deliver what I want.

Thanks

Jonathan