How do I get my app to show in the top new 500.

• Replies:14
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 8

Apr 18, 2014 1:04:42 PM via Website

Hi, I launched my free game app a week ago and now I'm at 600 downloads with 4 and half stars but still can't show on the market without typing the name or show up in similar app that are related to my app. Any suggestions? I would appreciate it.

• Forum posts: 13

Apr 23, 2014 2:42:04 PM via Website

There is no magic formula. Try posting your app in forums, and convince bloggers to write about your app. With enough attention, your app might make it up the charts.

• Forum posts: 13

Apr 23, 2014 3:00:32 PM via Website

One more thing, on the first month after you launch the app, it might get featured on the play store main page as a "new app", which will net you more downloads. So you might want to concentrate your marketing efforts very soon after you upload your app.

• Forum posts: 9

Apr 23, 2014 10:53:35 PM via Website

600 downloads in a week is quite nice. Could you share link and what you did?

• Forum posts: 9

Apr 23, 2014 10:54:15 PM via Website

Didn't see that you posted it's name - I'll search for it on google play.

Jan Karnath
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Forum posts: 12

Apr 23, 2014 11:42:13 PM via Website

Hi - the key to get more visibility comes from different aspects.

ASO - Link Building / Screenshots / App Video (this will help to appear in the search results - however it will take some time anyway until you are visible there)

App Promotion - Your App is in the launch phase of it`s lifecycle - the goal should be to get it into the hands of as many users as possible. If you have any Marketing budget I would spend it asap. The reason is you will appear in the Top new category on GP (as mentioned before by Tooleap).

GP Algorithm - Google is ranking Apps on 5 aspects: Downloads / De-install rate / Retention rate / Ratings / Social Signals (all these section will be benchmarked to the other apps in your category) If you manage to have a low deinstall-rate and your ratings stay the same you will see a strong increase in the ranking.

I hope that is helpfull

— modified on Apr 23, 2014 11:46:01 PM

Apr 23, 2014 11:48:00 PM via Website

I posted my app on and started a campaign with $100 at $0.23 per download I was getting between 100 and 150 download a day mostly from India and Europe didn't get much from the US.

Apr 24, 2014 12:52:29 AM via App

okay on appbrain I did try to focus only on the US but it only worked when I change the price from $0.23 to $0.43 and up. I will try your advice thanks for the link.

• Forum posts: 54

Apr 24, 2014 9:27:56 PM via Website

The Google Play algorithm is quite unknown and there is no special formula to bring it in the front. If you want non paid promotions here are some ideas from my side

1. Write blogs and post it in blogging sites.
  2. Forum Uploads (but dont dump the link in forums it might create an irritation to the users)
  3. Social Media Optimization, I mean ask your friends to review and ask your friends to tell their friends.
  4. Dont pay for reviewing your app in Google Play it might result in suspension of the account (Google Play Developer Policy)
  5. App Videos, make a channel in youtube and promote with this video and make screeshots

There are 500 sites which includes Review Sites, Forum etc... If you upload your game in all these sites you can increase your ranking position. Keep an eye on the Top Free and Top New Free of your category.

Pls consider this as a suggestion. Thank you.

May 1, 2014 4:51:48 PM via App

I was advise to stay away from them because they don't get as many visitors that they claim to have every month and I did one and didn't get any traffic from it.

• Forum posts: 11

Mar 6, 2015 9:27:14 AM via Website

GewiiMobile dev

okay on appbrain I did try to focus only on the US but it only worked when I change the price from $0.23 to $0.43 and up.
I will try your advice thanks for the link.

I'm testing appbrain today and the price has gone up to a minimum $0.60 to get a meaningful response. You can set lower but probably it will be much much slower to consume your budget.