Battery and Backup issue with North Korean Samjiyon tablet (not internet capable)

• Replies:3
Joe Terwilliger
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 21, 2014, 10:21:56 PM via Website

I have a Samjiyon android tablet which I purchased in North Korea this past winter. It is not internet capable, so the only way to do backups or to share files is either by MicroUSB cable to a computer, or using the microSD card.

Yesterday, the tablet would not charge when I connected the MicroUSB cable, and something is clearly wrong with the connector, as it is also not recognized by the computer when I connect through USB. Any thoughts on how I can have this unit repaired? I contacted three repair companies in NY and they all refused because they cannot get parts, as they said... But it must be something pretty standard and simple, I would have thought, with the hardware...

Another question is about mechanisms to backup the software and possibly install it on another tablet. It probably needs the North Korean operating system version, however, as that contains the North Korean keyboard and codesets. Is there a way to backup the software off one of these devices to use on a different machine? Given there is no internet capability, how would one do that? Basically the machine has a large number of North Korean books and programs to read them - they are not however standard file formats, so when I tried to copy the book files, I coudl not view them in other E-book reading programs on other devices nor on the PC. Each ".pdf" file appears to be two linked files one with the pdf headers and the other with the content... I also want to offload the software for the Korean to English dictionary and the North Korean encyclopedia.

I have access to two other Samjiyon computers that friends own here in the US, so I could conceivably backup software off those, if it would then be possible to install everything on another hardware device.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I use that machine every day for a couple hours, and cannot easily go back to North Korea to get another one any time soon... I use the machine for my work - I am a professor at Columbia University...

Best wishes, Joe Terwilliger jdt3@columbia.edu

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 23, 2014, 8:04:05 AM via Website

Well, @Joe I am sorry but I think that you need to throw that tablet and purchase a new one I am pretty much sure chance of getting it back to the working condition is pretty much less and it do seems to me a bit more outdated as you have mentioned that you are dependent on the USB drive for backup because it can't be connected to the data services and all..... :devil: So, better is to leave it behind and move forward with the... something different !! :D

Joe Terwilliger
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 23, 2014, 9:38:50 AM via Website

I am using it because of the preinstalled software, which is unavailable outside North Korea, and I have no mechanism to get the software on a new device. It's internet capability was disabled because there is no internet in DPRK. There has to be.a way to repair the connector so that the machine will work...