mp3 audio streaming and reducing data consuption

• Replies:1
ken chi
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 19, 2014, 3:54:20 PM via Website

Hello All,

I really need someone's input urgently.

I have an app that will stream .mp3 files on the internet and play them. I have used javascript/ HTML5 audio tag to archive this.

PROBLEM: The app consumes alot of data (eats deep into my data plan). This could mean prospective users will run away.

QUESTION: Which is the best way to stream .mp3 files over the internet while keeping the data
consumption of the entire process
the same (or even less) compared with
normal accessing text and images from the internet. Kindly note that these .mp3 files are stored with amazon (or any storage on the internet)

...all response, well appreciated.

Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 20, 2014, 9:31:31 AM via Website

ken chi

Hello All,

I really need someone's input urgently.

I have an app that will stream .mp3 files on the internet and play them. I have used javascript/ HTML5 audio tag to archive this.

PROBLEM: The app consumes alot of data (eats deep into my data plan). This could mean prospective users will run away.

QUESTION: Which is the best way to stream .mp3 files over the internet while keeping the data
consumption of the entire process
the same (or even less) compared with
normal accessing text and images from the internet. Kindly note that these .mp3 files are stored with amazon (or any storage on the internet)

...all response, well appreciated.

The problem is MP3s are already really, really small compressed files. This is why they are so popular! They are lower quality than most other music formats, but that's why we share MP3s and not WAVs!

So, I don't really have any suggestion. I'd make sure the files that are streamed are always encoded at 128kbs, because that's the smallest file size that still sounds the same as CD quality (to most listeners!). If they are 320kbs they will naturally consume more data.

Aside from that, I don't really have any other ideas. But then I'm not a developer :)

Let's see if anybody else has any thoughts.