Newbie with Tablet Question

• Replies:5
Fred Smith
  • Forum posts: 6

Aug 21, 2014, 5:47:54 PM via Website

If this is in the wrong spot, perhaps an admin can move the post.....

I have a dilemma. I am somewhat tech savvy for my droid M and my computers, but recently I was stumped. My MIL (mother in law) dropper her new Samsung Tab 3 (I found no forum here for that), in my lap an complained about her data usage and how she was getting dinged for overuse. She has a plan through Bell Canada that is crazy cheap and low on data (2.5GB for 2 years for about $10/month). Sadly, she has gone over her data many times now. I tried to set up an notification that would alert her when she was getting close to her limit, but the option is not on her tablet. Strangely enough, when I search for this feature on the net, I find this all the time, with great description on how to turn it on. Not for her tablet, It does not exist.

Now, some history. She bought this in Florida while on vacation for cheap, then brought up to CA to her provider and set up the plan. I am thinking that the tablet should have a factory reset, then we can see if that fixes things.

Any thoughts on this?

paul voit
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 21, 2014, 8:00:00 PM via Website

look in settings , data usage
or go to account&sync and turn it off

Fred Smith

Aug 21, 2014, 8:10:51 PM via Website

See, that is the issue. I can see the data usage, but that is it. There is nothing to set for alerts, whereas others do have it. Same with the account and sync. No option there either. I suspect that there is a chance that this tablet was "hot" and she got a good deal on it. Or, it has some sort of real crazy child proof setting.....

Fred Smith

Aug 22, 2014, 4:19:13 AM via Website

when I select Data Usage, it brings up the data usage cycle graph, and lists the data used by all apps, however, there is no indication of an option of setting a data limit, nothing about mobile data, nothing about notifications...

Could the lack of information be something that was done by the service provider? I am wondering if a reset is in order....

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Aug 22, 2014, 7:22:18 AM via Website

Well, I would say like other members said try heading over to the settings>under Wireless and Networks> Tap over Data Usage, you can use it to set the data limit to 25GB, so when you reach to 2.5GB it's going to turn the data connection off. I wonder why you could find it :? Try going throw the process again, and yes if you are planning to perform a factory reset than it would also be a good option as this is going to make device new from the firmware side. But still I wouldn't think that for reason like this (thinking). Maybe you should first try searching for the Data Usage option :)

Fred Smith

Aug 27, 2014, 2:21:45 PM via Website

So, my MIL spoke with the provider (Bell.ca) and they have confused her even more. I stopped by a Verizon store and asked about the Tab3 and the options for data limitations and notifications and they told me that these options are added by the provider, not provided by the manufacturer. I found this odd, but believable as this tab does not have these options. As a reminder to those reading this, my MIL bought this from a store such as Walmart, etc., not from a phone provider (Verizon, Bell, Sprint, etc.). I have directed her to speak to the folks at Bell specifically about adding these options to the phone. Their method for notification is via email, based on her account. I want her to have a limitation and notification that comes directly from the phone itself.