Confused about 10240kb Data Use

• Replies:3
Alistair Lockhart
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 14, 2016, 8:56:01 PM via Website

Hi

Has anyone experienced multiple entries of 10240kb in their Data Usage?

Confused as to what it is - is it a max data figure for an extended period of web browsing, or is it an app syncing. Multiple entries in short spaces of time make me think app/device syncing somehow - see screenshot below of downloaded data entries.

App data usage on the phone doesn't give up many clues - in one month max data use is Skype with 600MB - but timestamps on the downloaded data do not correspond with any active Skype use

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Alistair

Mike Ellingham

Sep 27, 2016, 9:59:04 PM via Website

Hi Alistair - did you get any answers? My son has used up all of his data 10 days into the month and it is mostly all down to these mysterious 10240 data entries. Did you pin it down to an app?

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith

Oct 27, 2016, 11:28:50 PM via Website

We have the exact same problem. My son's 2GB allowance just disappeared in a matter of days, even though he mainly used it on Wifi at home. I'm not an expert, but I think the 10240kb is just a chunking of data and has no significance. We've found that the culprit might be the Wifi-Assist setting on his iPhone, which automatically switches the phone to 4G when the wifi signal is poor. Not sure about android phones, but on the iPhone you get to it through settings/mobile data/ apps where it can be disabled.

petercon999

Jul 30, 2018, 4:22:45 PM via Website

I had this exact same issue. It was the daily mail online app in my case that was responsible. If you go into 'settings' and then 'data usage' and then scroll down you can see the App Usage details. Maybe it is a different app in your case that is responsible. I have fixed my problem by going into the 'background data' section of 'data usage' and disabling the toggle switch for daily mail online. I can still use the daily mail app just as before but no longer have my monthly allowance eaten up at an alarming rate.