Restore crypt8 files

• Replies:0
Vampire Solo
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 20, 2017, 3:59:29 PM via Website

This is all relating to a Galaxy S2.

I have crypt8 files that I backed up to try to get the key ages ago.

I forgot to do it.

A few years or so later here I am with my Galaxy S2 now rooted (I even forgot how I did it and what I used to do it) which I remember I did to try to get the key file so that I could extract the messages.

In order to try to do this today was a lengthy process.

I have 2 other phones. A Galaxy S5 mini and a Galaxy S7.

The S5 mini has an SD card in it. I don't regularly use this phone but it has whatsapp messages on it that I need so I will not touch this phone to try to recover the crypt8 files.

The S7 .... you'll understand why I needed this.

So first of all I thought I would need to use the original sim card for the crypt8 files.

Then I thought I can use any sim. I didn't want to use my sim as from experience when I go to uninstall the reinstall the app over and over trying to restore messages it ends up blocking the number from whatsapp I think for some time.

So then I thought to use a sim card. It didn't work. Tried another one. PUK required. Don't know the PUK. Called the sim card company. They couldn't identify it as being one of their own sims (even though it says O2 on the sim).

Anyway, in the end I used my current and only sim number.

I installed ES File Explorer.

I have a mircosd card in my S5 mini but the battery was dead.

Moved it over to the S7 to transfer the crypt8 files onto.

Moved that mircosd card over to the Galaxy S2.

Installed whatsapp. Messaged a contact and created a backup to create the needed folder in the whatsapp directory on the internal storage.

Deleted the crypt12 file that backup created.

Uninstalled whatsapp.

Copied the crypt8 files from the microsd card over to the internally created databases folder.

Reinstalled whatsapp.

Entered the mobile number from my current sim. Got the confirmation text on the S7.

Backup found. Great. Clicked backup and it said 'Unable to restore your chats from this backup'.

Next was 'Restore from older' and 'Skip'.

I clicked the first option (not going to Skip).

Next was 'Do you want to give permission to backup from Google Drive' (something like that). The other option next to it was 'Skip'.

I clicked Skip.

It then takes me to 'Enter you name' and then after I do that it opens whatsapp.

I tried doing it all over again. Same issue.

I have tried 4-5 times.

Anyone know how I can do this? I need these conversation logs.

Thank you