Screen Overlay Detected messages

• Replies:1
alan greco
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 11, 2018, 1:07:03 AM via Website

Hello. I currently have a ZTE ZMAX CHAMP smartphone, but I had the same issue on a Phillip's smartphone (I got rid of that one because of this same issue-thought it was phone specific). When I try to save/allow some basic things, I get this message most of the time (but not all of the time): "Screen overlay detected. To change this setting, you first have to turn off the screen overlay settings>apps."
A couple recent instances:
1.) When opening Google News: Allow Google News & & Weather to access this device's location.
2.) When I download a Zedge notification: Allow Zedge to access photos, media, and files on your device?
When I click to allow, I get the above message. I've seen alot of posts on the web for this, but the settings don't match up with mine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

sophia779
  • Forum posts: 18

Aug 23, 2018, 3:04:23 AM via Website

Hello,
Screen Overlay Detected is one of the irritating error that occurs mostly on devices support Marshmallow version. This error occurs when you try to install any new applications on your Android device where you have to allow some permission like contacts, camera, storage etc.

Best ways to fix ‘Screen Overlay’ error on Android

Method 1: Find out apps

First, you have to search those apps who have permission to draw over the screen. If you are not a Samsung user then follow the below steps:

• First open Settings
• Click on magnifying glass on top right
• Now enter ‘draw’ on search
• Click on Draw over the apps
• Alternative route: Apps> [gear icon] > Draw over other apps

Method 2: Check app permissions

You should find the list of apps which have permission to use screen overlays or floating buttons. After that you have look for the app that is creating problem and temporarily reject the permission to draw over screen.

Method 3: Reinstall the app again

After disabling the apps, you can try them to launch again and should requests permissions without “Screen overlay detected” error coming in between.

Samsung users have also several problems like on one-handed keyboard settings that can cause the problem. So its better to deactivate it by going to Settings > Advanced features > One-handed operation.