How to solve the issue with malicious apps taking over the phone?

• Replies:10
alin1
  • Forum posts: 8

Jun 15, 2018, 9:15:19 PM via Website

Hi. Today I installed a 4.1 rated app called Screen Stream Mirroring Free on my Nokia 5 running Oreo 8.1. This junk of an app simply freezed and didn't allow me to do anything, even to restart or turn off the phone (the "perks" of having a non-replaceable battery). It stayed like an overlay over anything except the thin Android top bar. When I connected the phone to my PC running W10, it detected the phone but not the internal storage, perhaps because that USB confirmation dialog was obscured by this app. I had to go to a GSM service who thankfully "rescued" the phone with no data loss.

How should I handle these situations in the future because GSM service is not free? Which software to use to get rid of the malicious apps or even to do a factory reset/resofting? I do daily backup and my data is on a micro SD, so it's not a tragedy if I do a factory reset.

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,585

Jun 16, 2018, 6:18:23 AM via Website

Just never install apps from sources other than the reliable Play Store to avoid these dangerous situations. (smug)

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
alin1

Jun 16, 2018, 10:23:56 AM via Website

But I got that app from the Play Store. Apparently the quality control is not very high on that Store. Next time I'm going to pay more attention to the app reviews because in hindsight there were some worrying reviews about that malicious app.
However you still didn't tell me how to handle those situations after the fact. If it will happen again I want to fix the issue myself.

— modified on Jun 16, 2018, 10:29:25 AM

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Jun 17, 2018, 11:37:40 AM via Website

Sounds like that app is incapable for your device!
I would try the factory reset!
But if you don't want to have to reprogram -customized your device ,you could install a re-root program and delete that app. Completely!

Helpful?
alin1

Jun 17, 2018, 5:58:37 PM via Website

Lindsay mcdaniel

Sounds like that app is incapable for your device!
I would try the factory reset!
But if you don't want to have to reprogram -customized your device ,you could install a re-root program and delete that app. Completely!

The app appeared to be compatible with my device (or Google Play lied to me). As for factory reset: how to do that when the screen was basically frozen and I couldn't even restart/turn off the phone?

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jun 19, 2018, 11:40:28 PM via Website

Alin1
Google play store brags that all thier apps have been reviewed and are safe! But no one is perfect!
I remember a news article from a few weeks ago about google finding several malicious apps in play store! Which they promptly deleted!
I think you might have stumbled upon one that google missed!
Now this is a long shot! But you might want to report that app to google customer service!
Thier technical department might be able to help you unlock your phone!
And just a comment: it's a shame you can't remove your battery!
I have had a couple times when some very advanced hackers locked my screen, and the only way I could unlock it was by removing the battery!
Anyway try google customer service! They just might be able to help!
Good luck
Lindsay

Helpful?
alin1

Jun 20, 2018, 2:20:14 AM via Website

"And just a comment: it's a shame you can't remove your battery! "

Many new phones are like that. Anyway because the phone doesn't have a removable back cover it seems very solid. The case is some kind of aluminum alloy.

Helpful?
saraheva
  • Forum posts: 12

Jun 22, 2018, 4:55:52 AM via Website

Try resetting your android.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jun 22, 2018, 10:52:44 AM via Website

Saraheva
Your reply was sent to me not alin1!
When you reply to someone's post tap the reply on thier post not the last post in that column. Alin1 will not see your suggestion until they log on and review all the reply's!
Lindsay

Helpful?
Deactivated Account

Jun 22, 2018, 11:15:09 AM via Website

Saraheva
Question; how is alin1 supposed to reset thier android, when that app has locked thier screen?
You should explain how to do that in your reply!
Lindsay

Helpful?
Ross Lewis
  • Forum posts: 27

Jul 11, 2018, 1:22:10 PM via Website

I also made the same mistake using such services. I just check the reviews first.

Helpful?