Sometimes you need to hide entire picture albums from your gallery. Getting this done is easy and there are two quick ways to do it. Just follow the steps in one of the two solutions we’ve outlined here and your albums will be hidden from your gallery.
Best solution: Gallery Lock
You can use apps to hide your photos and videos and put them under password protection. Our preferred solution for this is Gallery Lock. Basically, you move your photo albums from your gallery to this app. Getting this done is easy. Just download the free app below and follow our quick guide!
Begin by opening the Gallery Lock app. The first time you do this you will be prompted to enter a PIN. It defaults to 7777, but you can change this later if you wish. After you’ve read the instructions (or not), you should see a group of default albums.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap Add Folder and give it a name.
- Hit OK and head down to the bottom of the screen.
- You should see the new folder with a default picture. Tap on it.
- Now at the bottom of the screen hit Add photo/video.
- Now tap the pictures and videos you want in this hidden folder and hit the green plus sign in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
Watch the video below to see exactly how to do this.
Now your pictures and videos are hidden. Head into your gallery to make sure you didn’t miss any. Once you take new pictures or videos you can add them to your Gallery Lock app folders using the same method. When you want to retrieve them just go back into the folder.
If you later decide you want to unhide them, just go back into the folder and hold down on a picture and tap Unhide.
Alternate solution: Astro File Manager
If you prefer to use a file manager rather than a gallery lock app, then you just need to follow these easy steps. First, download Astro File Manager below.
- Once you’re in the app, go to Primary then tap Pictures.
- Now tap and hold the folder you want to hide.
- Once it’s highlighted, hit the menu button (three dots at the top right of your screen).
- From here go to Rename.
- Now, rename the folder .nomedia and be sure to include the period in front of the text. Hit Rename and you’re all set.
Watch the video below to see an example of how this is done.
- If you want to see those hidden folders in Astro again you need to go to the menu and hit View Settings.
- From here, hit the Advanced tab.
- You just need to check the box after Show hidden files and go back into the app and you should see your folder.
- If you want to unhide it, just rename it but don’t include a period at the front.
Do you have any other solutions for hiding your albums? Let us know in the comments.