Share why you switched to Android and your impression

• Replies:9
Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Apr 29, 2010, 4:32:21 PM via Website

Let us know why you chose Android and why you like it so much!:grin:

I have my Android phone as a part of my work, but for the longest time, I have been wanting a smartphone. My family back home is on Verizon, and they had a plan with a free phone every two years, and since they didn't really care about cell phones, I had to choose the best free phone available, which was a bigger, uglier, less capable version of Motorola's RAZR, even though I got the phone about 2-3 years after the RAZR came out.

I had heard about Android before I talked with Fabien, but never had any hands-on time with an Android handset before. I love the HTC Dream I use, even though it is the first Android phone. The phone is leaps and bounds ahead of what I used before. I usually try a new app every day or two. The battery, RAM, camera, definitely not one of it's better aspects when comparing it against current phones on the market, but it still does a good job. Now that I have tasted Android, I don't know that I will ever go back to a less capable phone if I have a choice. When I look back to before I had all the abilities I now have with this phone, I start to wonder how much easier things might have been if I had this (or if almost ANYONE had one.)

— modified on Apr 29, 2010, 4:33:04 PM

Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 98

Apr 29, 2010, 5:07:25 PM via Website

After using my dad's cast-off Nokia form circa 2002 for the past 3 years, I decided to crawl out of my cave and into the light and finally get a smartphone.
It took me a while to even decide whether I wanted an iPhone or an Android, but once I started working at AndroidPIT and had the opportunity to try out a few Android phones I opted against the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone, I think the design is fabulous and it's definitely user friendly, but I was drawn to how involved you can get in the configuration of an Android phone. Plus, I really dig a lot of the apps we try out, so in the end making a decision was easy.
However, I still couldn't decide which Android to go for. I also like the HTC Dream, I love the HTC Touch Innovation because I think it's the most beautifully designed phone ever, I thought the Samsung Galaxy was pretty meh...
I've settled on a shiny new(ish) G2 Touch. Yes, like everyone in our office my eyes lit up and my heart raced juuuust a little when the HTC Desire arrived the other day, but I didn't want to shell out that kind of cash just yet. So it's just me and my G2. I'll let you know how things work out between the two of us.

PS: Douglas, you're Motorola story is very touching, the Oliver Twist tale of cell phones.

PPS: For your viewing pleasure I'm including a pic of my old phone. Yes, it's a classic 6310i in silver, one of the first to be released, and king of its era, so let's not diss it. The thing is 8 years old but it's not SIM-locked, can be used on every continent, has unparalleled battery life, and pretty good reception. Respect, please.

— modified on Apr 29, 2010, 9:15:32 PM

Douglas Carter

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Apr 29, 2010, 9:09:28 PM via Website

First off, I have to admit that I have always been a minimalist as far as cell phones are concerned. I was always looking for something small, light, durable with a long battery life. I didn't like the trend in the US for bulky phones with a billion features that you'd never use (plus a really expensive 2 year plan to go along with it). So I stuck to old Nokias even after the iPhone came out. Why didn't I get an iPhone?

a) poor student
b) AT&T forces you to sign a ridiculously expensive contract
c) the iPhone is part of this crazy Apple fad that is sooo hip, yet sooo commercial

My only Apple experience has been with my Ipod....and let me tell you - it was never a very love-filled relationship. I hated the fact I had to use iTunes (worst software ever) with it and that it wouldn't allow me transfer songs from the phone to the computer. That's the whole problem with Apple....they try to lure you in with Apple Store, iTunes, Apple TV, MacBooks, etc. There's no room for creativity or customization.

So every since I switched to the HTC Hero, I feel like I have all the benefits of a touchscreen phone, except without all the strings attached to it (like in the case of Apple). I can switch out the SIM card, install any application I want, change the keyboard, download music, use it to store my files and even expand my SD memory if I'd like.

I love the freedom and I like the phone. It may be a bit too heavy for me, but I like the Android aspect of it. It's the same reason people are switching to Linux, I think.

— modified on Apr 29, 2010, 9:09:56 PM

Tim W.
  • Forum posts: 23

May 5, 2010, 9:37:07 PM via Website

I have always gone for Cybershot phones, last one the C905 was great for most stuff, had a touchscreen phone before but it was pretty bad, decided to look around and get all the relevent info i could and despite all around me saying to go for the I Phone, i decided against it and got my Hearts Desire :P

Picture quality looks superb at first try and touchscreen is a million miles from my last one.

Happy.:D

Cheers, Tim.

Aaron Charlong
  • Forum posts: 7

May 8, 2010, 8:18:26 PM via App

I got my HTC hero because of how HTC sense was described as making the phone look like you want, and sense then I love how open the software itself is

Ryan Erickson
  • Forum posts: 93

Jun 18, 2010, 3:01:27 PM via App

for the longest time i had an lg voyager and that phone was....ok to be nice it actualy kinda sucked i started to see the teaser comercials for the droid and was interested in this new phone comming out. at the time i knew absolutly nothing about the android operating system i just wanted the phone because the comercials made the phone seen like a bad ass! : D after having my droid for over 6 months i could not be happier i love this phone about as much as my family!

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jun 18, 2010, 4:33:49 PM via App

Back in the day I always had a flip style phone.. and everytime I Would upgrade I Would get the phone that would be able to handle the latest and greatest.. like My LG that could play mp3's, mobile web, VZ Navigation etc. Then as the smartphones started getting smarter (never liked the palm smartphones.. ex-wife had a couple) I started looking into the BlackBerrys.. got the curve.. used it for about ten days and hated it. So I decided to switch it up for the BB Storm. Loved the touchscreen and the full support for the internet and email. So when it was time to upgrade again.. the android phones just seemed like the best choice. I like the Storm.. but the Storm 2 didn't do much more then the 1st Storm. App market is always way behind the other app markets like apples or android. I got tired of waiting for cool apps like Paper-Toss or Google Sky to name only a couple. My girlfriend had just got the Motorola Droid (she hated my BB Storm's touchscreen keyboard) because of the slideout keyboard. I played with it for a week off and on and didn't care for the keyboard. So I got the HTC Eris. It was a lot like My BB Storm feel wise.. but now with 7 screens for widgets, better apps, more free apps, more app memory, and free Google NAVIGATION (had to pay $10 a month for spoken turn by turn directions on my Storm) etc.

— modified on Jun 18, 2010, 4:35:05 PM

Richard Fletcher
  • Forum posts: 5

Sep 6, 2013, 6:53:51 PM via Website

I have always hated apple so when the G1 finally came out it was just common sense and Ive never looked back

Amy R.
  • Forum posts: 238

Sep 6, 2013, 9:35:39 PM via Website

Sounds rather bleak, I chose to purchase an android device because hated everything else that was available at the time. On the lighter side, it never ceases to amaze me. I can do more personalization on the UI and on how it runs then I could have possibly imagined. It's kinda funny how a girl who despises google could love her jellybean tablet so much.

"You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here & So Am I" - FZ