Greetings

• Replies:4
Adrian Papari
  • Forum posts: 8

Nov 7, 2010, 10:24:59 AM via Website

I have a tendency of forgoing the introductory pleasantries in forums, but having lurked AndroidPIT for some time, I have to say I'm really impressed by the apparent friendliness and candor displayed here. Kudos to everyone involved!

I'm currently studying Software Engineering in Gothenburg, Sweden - which is also the city where I've been situated the past 9-10 years. The weather is oftentimes depressing and the architecture shares more similarities with oversized shoe boxes than buildings, but once one gets beneath the surface a more likable impression takes form. It took me a couple of years to realize though.

Installed Linux for the first time circa 2000 and have been using Linux more-or-less exclusively ever since. Every time there was mention of a linux phone in the works it made me equally anxiously excited - seeing how many projects failed almost at the get go. It wasn't until the HTC Hero that I finally found a linux-based phone that (also) became available in Sweden.

Since acquiring the HTC Hero I've been playing around with the SDK, recently releasing BOINC Echo and am now working on my anti-boilerplate library, metagloss.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Nov 8, 2010, 5:09:00 AM via Website

Hi, welcome to the forums! What is a BOINC project? Your metagloss project looks interesting, databases can be a tiresome thing.

Adrian Papari

Nov 8, 2010, 7:57:25 AM via Website

Thanks!

BOINC projects are a way of signing up your computer(s) for "volunteer work" in different research projects. The projects send computational tasks to connected BOINC clients, in effect creating a virtual supercomputer. The more popular projects rival or even surpass the fastest supercomputers in terms of computing power. As a measure to keep people interested, one of the things done was implementing a credit (score) system that tracks how much computing power each user has contributed to the different projects. BOINC Echo, in essence, tracks the credit accumulation over time.

And, yeah - to make things worse, the API for working with SQLite certainly feels like it's been crowbarred into place. Just look at SQLiteDatabase#queryWithFactory - ten parameter method... And why the API docs claim that SQLiteQueryBuilder is "a convenience class that helps build SQL queries" is beyond me; I find it just as inconvenient and error-prone as the SQLiteDatabase class, with all those 6-9 parameter methods. Not that metagloss fixes any of this, but it's an idea I've been entertaining ;)

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Nov 8, 2010, 3:14:13 PM via Website

Glad to see you shed your "lurker" status there. I have a feeling that there are plenty of people who are just like you, only reading but not an active part of the community. Thanks for the compliments on the site. Our dev team work hard on the website and apps. Do you focus more on apps for developers/researchers, or are you thinking about branching out into the consumer market as well?

Adrian Papari

Nov 8, 2010, 4:40:57 PM via Website

Yeah, the tendency to lurk runs strong in many, myself included. I have to say though, the android community as a whole has grown beyond my expectations, especially considering how young the platform is.

Generally speaking, my projects are made for my own benefit - but hoping they may also be of some use to someone else. A game is in the planning, or at least in the realm of wishful thinking, and it would be more of a commercial endeavor than my personal projects. However, running on what feels like a temporal deficit, it will probably take some time before anything starts taking form.

— modified on Nov 8, 2010, 4:44:42 PM