Samsung Galaxy S Advance — Wifi Device Name

• Replies:4
Richard S.
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 8, 2011, 2:57:25 AM via Website

This is probably a dumb question, please feel free to pull me up on it if it is. I've searched this forum and others for an answer but have seen nothing (which makes me think I'm missing something really obvious!)

On my home wifi, I usually have three devices connected: my desktop PC, my laptop PC and my Galaxy S. The two PCs have names set in Windows which appear in my router's device list. it bugs me a little that my phone doesn't have a name and I can't find anything anywhere on the phone's menu system to be able to set one. The only thing which comes close is the Bluetooth ID which has no impact.

I'm about to go travelling and will be staying with friends, and when connecting to their wifi (to which their IPhones are connected) I want to be able to proudly proclaim the wonder of Android rather than be an unnamed item in their host list. ;-)

Any advice?

TIA

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 8, 2011, 10:46:55 AM via Website

It's surprisingly quite difficult and confusing to change the name of your device in Wifi land, so don't feel too bad!

As far as we know, the only way to change the name of your device is through a convoluted process that involves rooting the phone, installing busybox and writing a script that calls "busybox hostname [new_device_name]" after it boots up.

This method requires root and an app called autostart (root). I'm not sure if there is a better way at this point to set it once and make it permanent without requiring a script to run after booting up.

NielpatelRichard S.

Richard S.
  • Forum posts: 4

Jun 8, 2011, 2:09:12 PM via Website

Thanks very much for the reply.

It really seems like needing to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut! It seems like Android/handset manufacturers really donlt want us personalising our phones beyond wallpapers!

I might get around to rooting my phone at some point but I'm not there yet so for the time being my poor Sammy will have to remain an anonymous number when connected!

Nielpatel
  • Forum posts: 52

Mar 31, 2016, 8:25:20 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing (lightbulb)

Victorious Notorious
  • Forum posts: 16

Aug 27, 2020, 12:09:07 PM via Website

How to check if I can add wifi through QR code