Can apps directly access usb drives on Honeycomb?

• Replies:1
Reggie Guevara
  • Forum posts: 4

Jul 13, 2011, 9:24:43 AM via App

Can apps directly access usb drives on Honeycomb? Hi, I've tried Googling this, & I can't believe I can hardly find the lack of results given how this usage should be taken for granted. I've only tried this with the Acer Iconia A500 because it's the only tablet I have so far found with a full usb port & a mini usb port right on the tablet itself, & only file managers can access usb drives on Honeycomb 3.0, with media apps not being able to access usb drives. I prefer not having to use a dock or mini usb to full usb converter, but if I have to, I'll reconsider. Any thoughts, anyone? Reggie

— modified on Sep 26, 2011, 4:23:36 PM by moderator

Reggie Guevara
  • Forum posts: 4

Jul 13, 2011, 5:45:41 PM via App

I've tried this before on 2 Iconias & couldn't access my G2 Portable 320GB usb drive. But just now, a 3rd Iconia can access my G2 as well as my GoPro, while a 4th can access my G2 but not my GoPro. I've tried waiting for some time for the devices to load before trying to access them, but I really can't access the GoPro no matter what. I am pleasantly surprised that I can access the G2 now however, even if I don't know the reason why. I tried to reset the 3rd unit & still no problem. I'll try to reset the 4th unit tomorrow & see if that will solve the problem.

I am in Greece, & the buying culture here is such that I can't test the unit I'm buying before actually buying it, & if I find a problem even just 5 minutes after I buy it, I will have to wait days before I can get a working replacement or a refund.

These last 2 Iconias have the same following specs:

Android version 3.0.1
Kernel version 2.6.36.3
Build number Acer_A500_1.139.05_COM_GEN1

Any ideas?

— modified on Sep 26, 2011, 4:24:39 PM by moderator