Ghosted app icons can't be removed

• Replies:4
Stan Jez
  • Forum posts: 51

Oct 12, 2011, 10:17:23 AM via Website

I have a Samsung Galaxy S (Gingerbread).
I have 2 icons which are ghosted and have a small SD card in the bottom right of the icon.
When the icon is pressed I get the message "Application is not installed on your Phone"
Removing the icons into the trashcan doesn't work. I can move the icons to the main screen it appears as a green Android on a white background with Android written on the top of the icon. I can remove it from that page but the ghosted icon still remains.The items don't list in "installed programs" so an uninstaller is of no use.

Any ideas?
one icon is Jewels (I've tried installing and uninstalling.... no joy)
the other is
com.adobe.reader

Jenny Preston
  • Forum posts: 47

Oct 12, 2011, 10:24:53 AM via Website

Hmmm that sounds like you may have, at one point, loaded those apps on an SD card and removed the card. Was that the case? If so you may need to reinsert the SD card and delete them from the card itself before the icons disappear.

Stan Jez
  • Forum posts: 51

Oct 12, 2011, 10:31:24 AM via Website

I do have an SD card. But it has never been removed from the phone. I'll open it up and check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Earl Baversjo
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 25, 2013, 7:15:45 AM via Website

Believe it or not this trouble dates to mainframe computer days. Data registration used to happen when an operator mounted a cartridge on the tape drive. Basically the label did not read properly. This CAN be damaged data but that is usually not the case unless the media was damaged or mis-handled.
On Android devices the micro SD card is like a tiny diskette or linear tape cartridge and it needs to 'mount up', which it usually does automatically when you boot your cellphone or tablet. In your Settings, you will see a section about storage. Here you can see how much you have used and how. This is also where there is a reference to mounting/unmounting/formatting the micro SD card inside your device.
Formatting will wipe the SD so use that one very carefully. The other two are more PG rated. What you should do, is to unmount the card and then mount it
This will take a bit of time so wait until the unmounting msg clears and the mount SD card choice appears. You do not necessarily need to remove the card but that can be your second try. When you mount the SD card, an automatic verifying process happens. Basically the data is 're-registered'. and accessible to your device, including the icon images. From this point, you just reboot and it is fixed. No more ghosts.

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I thought you might like the Paul Harvey version. Now you know 'the rest of the story'....

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 48

Sep 17, 2013, 2:36:07 PM via Website

If that doesn't works just try the very simple procedure of a soft reset on the device. As that works in 90% cases. So hope for the best.

— modified on Sep 17, 2013, 4:06:13 PM by moderator