Lack of documentation for developers - license keys

• Replies:6
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 21

Feb 24, 2012, 8:07:02 PM via Website

Hello,

I just joined AndroidPIT community and deployed Pro version of my Make Your Clock Widget app (https://www.nextpit.de/de/android/market/apps/app/net.hubalek.android.makeyourclock.pro/Make-Your-Clock-Pro-Beta)

Everything went fine, it seems that app is deployed.

What confuses me is web page License Code Upload (https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/developers/uploadLicenses?d=000000).

What are license codes and what is it's purpose?

I spent long time by searching forums and Googling but I didn't find reasonable answer.

Initially I thought that it is for REDEEM CODES (which would be killer feature of AndroidPIT as this functionality is not implemented in Android market and I WOULD LOVE to advertise AndroidPIT if such a functionality would be implemented).

So I entered two codes to the form and they increased counter of available codes and disappeared. Then I asked my friend to buy app using one of these codes. He was not successful (market simply stopped responding, no error message like Invalid voucher code).

So I said to myself that it is not working.

What was my surprise that I got email that I'm almost run out of codes.

It looks like these license codes are sent to user and if I run out of codes, app stops selling.

So I generated 1000 GUIDs as license codes and now everything seems OK.

Could anybody point me to documentation and/or explain how this works?

Thanks
Tom

DieBagger
  • Forum posts: 4

Feb 26, 2012, 12:23:52 AM via Website

Tomas Hubalek

Initially I thought that it is for REDEEM CODES (which would be killer feature of AndroidPIT as this functionality is not implemented in Android market and I WOULD LOVE to advertise AndroidPIT if such a functionality would be implemented).

I couldn't agree more, this would be a killer feature to have on androidpit...

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Feb 27, 2012, 10:47:26 AM via Website

What do you guys mean redeem codes? Like a code that fuctions as a coupon for a single app instead of being associated with a dollar amount?

Deactivated Account

Feb 27, 2012, 10:59:34 AM via Website

Aaron Tilton
What do you guys mean redeem codes? Like a code that fuctions as a coupon for a single app instead of being associated with a dollar amount?

Developers need (when marketing their application) be able to deliver full version
- to journalist for review
- to customers as gift for help
- as award for contests etc.

For this purpose developers in Apple's app store get couple of free redeem codes that allows users use full app for free.

In case AndroidPIT would support this free codes too, I would definitely forward a lot my users to your portal as Google's market does not support redeem codes and I have no chance to deliver Pro license to user.

Let me know if it is not clear
Tom

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Feb 27, 2012, 11:01:37 AM via Website

Not a bad idea. I'll pass it along to the guys who run the store. It def. isn't a bad idea!

Deactivated Account

Feb 27, 2012, 11:32:38 AM via Website

Aaron Tilton
Not a bad idea. I'll pass it along to the guys who run the store. It def. isn't a bad idea!

I'm sure it could redirect a lot of traffic to your site and implementation is probably not difficult as you already have licensing, accounting etc. Android developers are eager to see this functionality somewhere.

BTW: Back to my original question: what is purpose of License keys functionality? I didn't find any documentation.

Daniele Pecora
  • Forum posts: 1

May 2, 2012, 2:54:47 PM via Website

There is no need to upload the license codes, this feature is optional.
If you want to manage the licenses by yourself, so then you have the opportunity to do that, otherwise Android PIT creates and manages the licenses for you.
It took me 2 days to find that out. ;-)