How is space for firmware in internal memory managed?

• Replies:2
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 11, 2012 7:40:04 AM via Website

Basically, I'm looking for an older (aka cheap) android t-mobile phone with qwerty. The main issue, aside from slow processor/low ram seems to be actual space for apps/phone stuff/etc.

My question is, if i get a phone with 512MB internal, and root/use a small-footprint firmware, how much space will be left in the internal storage for all MY data? Is there a fixed amount of space set aside for firmware (that doesn't sound right)?

I had a cheap Archos tablet awhile back and learned quickly to use app2sd, which I'm fine with. I really just don't know how much internal storage is ENOUGH for me, which is obviously relative. Let me outline the main things I'm looking to do:

- Task Management App (Astrid maybe)
- Web browsing via WIFI
- Maybe a dozen odd games
- Probably some sort of calendar/alarm/reminder app as well
- Basic cell phone functions

I'm not a power user by any means, but I need to be able to accomplish those tasks without constantly hitting low memory or waiting minutes for load time. Definitely have enough know-how to figure out rooting.

Any advice would be great, especially example footprints of common firmwares/apps/etc.

— modified on Jul 11, 2012 7:40:51 AM

• Forum posts: 1,811

Jul 11, 2012 3:50:41 PM via Website

If you wish to play a few games and have some nice apps, 512MB internal is REALLY pushing it. Most of the time, around 200-500MB storage will be put aside for the OS alone, and then additional space for apps and games. But, as long as the phone that you purchase has a microSD slot (most older android phones do), you can always expand the memory with that and use apps to SD to preserve your internal memory.

What's your budget?
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 11, 2012 5:27:47 PM via Website

I'm trying to stay around $100. I've been looking on swappa and was looking at a G2 (I'm on T-mobile). The G2 has 4g internal I believe, but the one I was looking at before, the Samsung Gravity Smart (I think) had only 512mb.

So basically, there isn't a set amount of space reserved for firmware, it's just however much space the firmware happens to take. So I could root and use a smaller firmware and have some more space (if I go with a smaller size).

— modified on Jul 11, 2012 5:28:21 PM