Help choosing the right technologies for App

• Replies:1
James Turbitt
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 18, 2013, 12:04:59 AM via Website

I am new to Android, but I have been programming C# winforms for nearly 10 years, but I have never done anything like this before.

I want to make an app which will provide a messaging service from a website but I am not exactly sure which is the best way to go about it.

The app will need to report to the website periodically so that it knows that it is online and people can send messages to the mobile device through a web page.

To achieve the mobile device to website "heart beat" I thought that I could access a webpage using query string which would report a username so that the website could log the last time the mobile device communicated. Would this be the best way?

The next problem is the website to mobile device communications. My options I guess are to send the data directly to the IP address of the mobile device using TCP IP. To do this I would need to report the IP address to the website when the IP address changes. This could be done with a query string again. Alternatively I could return an XML file containing the new messages when the heart beat is sent, but the messages would then be delayed until the next heart beat is sent. Ideally I would like the message to be sent immediately. Are there any issues with sending data to an IP address on a mobile network? How do I find out what my IP address is?

I would like the solution to be reliable and secure.

I would appreciate any ideas and comments!

Thanks in advance

KrayZ Logic
  • Forum posts: 17

Jun 21, 2013, 9:17:19 PM via Website

You could create an alarm in your app so that whenever the alarm goes off you can check to see if the IP address has changed and then let your server know if any changes took place. I've used alarms in a few apps to run checks at midnight for upcoming events in a calendar, which then set more alarms for that day. Set the alarm to check every few minutes or something.