- Forum posts: 1,116
Jul 10, 2013, 4:26:11 PM via Website
Jul 10, 2013 4:26:11 PM via Website
- Click on the Planet icon in the tool bar.
- Choose Sky to look up from your current position on Earth.
- You can identify various constellations like Ursa Major aka the Bigger Dipper.
- From the sky database, you can locate other planets in our solar system, like Saturn or Jupiter.
- You can even search for and zoom in to different astronomical sites like the Super Nova or the Crab Nebula or even the Orion Nebula where hundreds of stars are forming now.
- Google Earth also allows you to explore the surface of the Earth in 3D: click on the planet icon and choose Moon to leave Earth's atmosphere for our closest neighbor.
- When you arrive, the Moon gallery will appear in the Layers panel which includes a bunch of information you can overlay on the Moon like the actual landing maps used during the Apollo Mission during mission control.
- In the human artifacts sub-folder, you can see 3D models of man-made objects, like the Apollo 11 Space Craft. Many of these layers have additional content such as historical footage or panoramic photos.
- In the Guided tour folder, you can access instructive tours that are narrated by Moon experts like Bud Aldrin.
- You can also explore the surface of Mars. Click on the planet icon and choose Mars to upload the planet in the 3D viewer. Pictures of Mars will also appear in the Layers panel. Just like Earth and the Moon, you can fly to specific places, such as the Valles Marineris the largest known canyon in our solar system.
- The live from Mars layer offers live footage from NASA satellites. Play the tour in the folder to orbit around Mars and see high resolution photos taken by the Mars Odyssey Team not long ago.
- The Mars gallery also offers rich layers of content, like historical maps, rovers and landers, guided tours and the traveler's guide to Mars.
You can download the most recent version of Google Earth here.
Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! Important to all community members: please read before posting