Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:146
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1,338

Dec 13, 2013 12:24:00 PM via Website

Hi @gelo, that's a weird one. To get into Recovery Mode you need to hold down Volume Down, Home and Power. If you're not sure if the phone is off, just pull the battery for 30 seconds and replace. Then do the button combo and enter recovery mode. Then you can follow the hard reset steps, this should wipe the password too. Good luck!

— modified on Dec 18, 2013 9:08:05 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

• Forum posts: 1

Dec 17, 2013 2:55:43 PM via Website

Hi Kris,

I bought a Note 2 recently, and it is running 4.1.2.

My data files were backed-up from my S2 using GO Backup, into the SD card and restored into this new Note 2. All went well, but 2 days ago, I started having this "low memory" notification on my display.

I can't seem to be able to use App to SD Manager to move the apps over to the SD card too. Please advice on what seemed to be the issue, and what are the options. I would prefer a non-rooting solution, where possible.

Thanks, and really appreciate your help on this.

Best regards
  • Forum posts: 1,338

Dec 18, 2013 9:11:22 PM via Website

Hey @Casey, so is your memory on the Note 2 actually being taken up? Assuming the low memory notification is legitimate, you might benefit from doing a data wipe and factory/hard reset on your Note 2 and then reinstalling your apps and data again. I'm not sure if you did a reset frist time around, but even when i just do a wipe and reinstall I find more space. There's plenty of other data transfer apps available, so I'd try another one or two and if that doesn't work...I'm not sure. I don't know why the Note 2 wouldn't let you move to the SD card. Of course, rotting lets you delete bloatware but won't get you any additional space anyway because of the partition.

— modified on Dec 18, 2013 9:11:35 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Dec 20, 2013 5:56:14 AM via Website

Hello Kris,

I have samsung galaxy note 2 GT-N7100. Recently I have tried installing Philz touch recovery after watching videos on youtube. After following the steps as shown in the video when I tried to factory reset my device, I noticed that an error symbol was appearing on my droid (see attached files) unlike that is shown in the video. I have completed the other steps but couldn`t see Philz recovery scree mode. I have decided not to installing/flashing until I have basic knowledge, so can you please educate me in this topic. Also if possible suggest me a solution to rectify my error. I have another question to ask, Is it good practice to flash/install custom ROM`s? Which is the best ROM that you suggest? Today, while i was composing this mail i found that my samsung Knox is not working and it says "Your device is not Authorized to enter Samsung KNOX mode". Please help me in resolving this. Thanks a ton!! Merry Christmas!! Happy & colorful new year in advance.!!

Dec 21, 2013 1:26:51 AM via Website

hi,is there any chance i can get all my data after im perform a reset to my device. ?

Dec 29, 2013 5:56:07 AM via Website

Hey yeah i have galaxy note 2 nd i was just on instragam when it froze and then i turn it off by holding the off key then try to turn it back on but it would just flash the Galaxy Note 2 screen that its shown at the beginning when u turn it on

Dec 31, 2013 8:07:16 AM via Website

my phone lays on the table, I see the screen of my phone fashing on and off every 9-10 seconds for about 4 seconds. My battery life gets a lot shorter and it is very annoying.
How to solve this?

Jan 3, 2014 6:23:19 PM via Website

My Note 2 will not go beyond the first screen after turning my phone on (the screen that says Galaxy Note II), I followed all of the hard reset prompts that you have provided and it is still the same. Do you have any idea what may be the problem?

Jan 4, 2014 5:40:02 PM via Website

To Kuro Neko.

Hi Kuro.
I was reading your message when you wrote of how your Note 2 was suddenly show a black screen when you used the phone. Did you resolve the issue. . Or is it the same? .Did you perform a factory or hard reset? . I too have a note 2 with similar problem. Would be interested how you managed.

Jan 4, 2014 10:07:37 PM via Website

I keep getting a notification that my storage space is running out. If I let it go to the internal storage where it says what's using the space, it says I have about 11gigs being used by photos and videos. I pulled my SD card to see what's actually stored on my internal memory for pics and videos and I only have 6 photos that are all less than 1mb each.
Do you have any idea why the phone would be saying it has so much stored there when there's almost nothing? Does another application backup photos that you can't can't see when viewing the gallery?
Any help is appreciated.

Jan 5, 2014 4:36:23 AM via Website

Try plugging your Note II into your computer and deleting some cashe files. Such as some files that begin with a "." (Period) or a "_" (Underscore).
I did that once and cleared up 1.5 gb in my phone and most of it was cashe files left from uninstalled apps and games. Also not to mention thumbnails of every photo I ever opened.
Hope it helps

Jan 7, 2014 6:05:31 AM via Website

HELP! long story short we just bought a phone from a guy off craigslist, a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. My husband broke his today and we wanted another one just like it, because they are discontinued we had to buy online, used.

So we get it, it's all fine and dandy, I do a hard reset as he has some "nova settings" that I literally CANNOT GET RID OF.

I feel like I have tried everything including the simple answer of deleted the app/widget and then restarting, all the way to a restore and a hard reset. Nothing is working, his operating system is so confusing we just want the OLD look back. We've had a hard enough day as it is, we just want to go to bed happy. CAN SOMEONE HELP. How do I delete this damn nova and get it back to it's factory state?

Thank you in advance for ALL your help!

Jan 14, 2014 7:56:16 PM via Website

My phone is on powering up saying Samsung Galaxy Note II even after a hard reset.

Jan 16, 2014 12:23:50 PM via Website

Hi, I'm not sure I understand on 3 issues.

1 When would I choose a hard reset over a factory reset?

2 If I factory reset my phone and then want to do it again to make sure everything has deleted properly, should I wait until it has been fully restored, or should I do so before I have input my Google account details (or would it restore anyway)

3 If I have put an SD card into my phone, do these resets resest that card too? And if not, do I want to be doing that?

May thanks!

Jan 19, 2014 11:30:14 AM via Website

it was just black all the time same like me.. :(

Jan 22, 2014 4:14:25 AM via Website

My Note 2 cannot access the network. After I made the last call I was able to before the phone started acting up, I pressed the end call button, but the phone call icon remained at the top of the screen as if the call were still taking place. I pressed the end call button a few times before it finally cleared the icon. (The call did end the first time I pressed the end call button...just the icon remained) I called the carrier thinking it was a problem on their end. After walking me through a few steps, the lady said it sounds like the phone has a mind of its own...possibly a virus, and suggested I take it to the store to see what they find. I have had antivirus software. I scanned the phone and found nothing. I tried installing another type of antivirus software, but it didn't find anything either. I tried the factory reset, then the hard reset, and it's still not able to connect to the network. I have four other phones on the plan that are working correctly. It does log into the wifi at home, but cannot access the mobile network or make calls. The phone says it is "preparing network," and the signal strength meter is blank with a red X above it. Do you have any ideas? Thanks!

— modified on Jan 22, 2014 4:18:53 AM

Jan 25, 2014 4:46:21 PM via Website

Hello, I am trying to do a hard reset on the note 2. After I do the restart it tells me my phone is still active and shows my phone #? I'm trying to wipe it and sell it. Any ideas?

Feb 5, 2014 8:06:52 AM via Website

I am using note2. When I check for the new update it says your phone has been modified.
I even did the hard reset as you have mentioned. Tried without the sd card as well as with the sd card.
Nothing of this works. Request you to please help me out.

Thanks & Regards

Feb 19, 2014 7:11:49 PM via Website

HI, kris, plz help asap. my galaxy note 2 is not charging at all. i could not charge it at night, in the morning its not starting and not getting charged too. i tried to recharge the battery for 6 hrs, but no use. when i try to switch it on the screen remains black but there is one second red light near the camera site( up top right) which comes and goes. i tried to press the volume power and the home keys too. still nothing on the screen . can anyone help plzzzzz. thanks in advance.