Google Nexus 4 — Nexus 4 Factory Reset - ALL memory wiped?

• Replies:1
James Ahn
  • Forum posts: 6

Nov 14, 2013, 2:07:02 PM via Website

OK this seems like a silly question but when I Google Nexus 4 factory reset, all I get are instructions on how to do this, and the warning that all memory will be wiped, to include pictures, videos, etc.

When you perform FR (hardwipe or regular) on the Nexus 4, does it wipe the sdcard folder? I went into the menu to do this, and was surprised to see that it says it would--I'm used to having a separate SD card in my Nexus S, and as such I never needed to backup all that extra stuff. It was way more convenient to FR the phone and simply redownload the apps I used. Even the save data from those apps would stored on the SD card and be ready to go.

When phones start getting older and slower due to developer updates getting heavier and heavier, I find FR to be more of a necessity. Thought it was nice having one lumped 16 gigs where everything can be stored, but now I'm thinking otherwise...

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Feb 11, 2014, 6:46:19 PM via Website

Hi James, you're right. The lack of a removable SD card in the Nexus line is a pain, but it's still super easy to backup everything for a Factory Reset or Hard Reset.

Just use a program like WugFresh's Nexus Toolkit to do backups, or an app like Titanium or Carbon.

I'd also recommend saving your photos, videos, music and contacts to your computer separately too, just to be sure.

Then Factory Reset and wipe cache partition and Dalvik cache to clear everything up and then reboot and restore your apps and data.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting