Samsung's botched Android 4.3 update fiasco - share your problems, rants, feelings

• Replies:147
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 4, 2013 6:05:11 PM via App

Has anyone in the UK got this update yet.
  • Forum posts: 4

Dec 4, 2013 8:31:25 PM via Website

I Have the GS3 with AT&T. got the update 2 days ago. wish I never did!
Problems with the Notifications pull down. It's showing all the updates that were done for 4.3. .I have cleared the cashe etc.... opened in Safe Mode... in settings/// downloads Forced stop....Every time I clean them, they come back within 5 minutes! Really sick of this! Was working with the Samsung Support page on Facebook trying different things, But Nothing is working to stop this! The 'updates' were no big deal for me, and I wish now I could go back to 4.1.2 . oh, and some of my 3rd party apps won't work anymore. Have contacted those developers.(especially Zedge!)

Dec 5, 2013 12:14:19 AM via Website

I have a Note II - update hasn't installed yet, should I cancel it and stay with 4.1?

Dec 5, 2013 12:34:28 AM via Website

In addition to those items mentioned my phone constantly reboots itself. Rogers wants me to send my phone in to be flashed. Is there any point in doing this since they will just be putting 4.3 back on the device? Any idea when the fix will be pushed out to us poor suckers in Canada stuck with the bugs?

Dec 5, 2013 2:02:17 AM via Website

The top notch at Samsung just got back to me on this issue. It fixed this problem :-)
If anyone has this problem, here's what to do:
Clear data of Download Manager at Application Manager of Settings

1. Tap the Settings

2. Select the Application manager

3. Scroll to the ALL tab

4. In ALL tab, select the Download Manager

5. Tap the Clear data

Dec 5, 2013 5:18:30 AM via Website

Sorry to hear about others serious troubles. Mine have not been so bad. I cleared the download manager, as advised in many other posts. The thing that has been bothering me is simple, yet VERY annoying. With my US Cellular GS3 placed face down, it will occasionally flash the camera LED, (the white "flash" led beside the lens). I have tried to determine if this is due to a new notification, or some other event. So far, No luck correlating this.

Anybody seen this behavior? So far, that's the only thing I can really complain about....

• Forum posts: 3

Dec 5, 2013 6:34:08 AM via Website

yes...i gotten my S4 updated some 4 weeks back and it has been showing me "Security information" all this while it says "An application attempted to access system on your device without authorisation.This attempt has been block" every day this message pops up and was unable to remove hope the newer version could help.Wonder when it will arrived to Singapore really annoying though the message will not harm the phone..same issue with my Note 3 i am still waiting for the update to baseband MJ7 which my wife had and it solve the problem...cheers
  • Forum posts: 1,338

Dec 5, 2013 11:20:44 AM via Website

Hey @Andrew - that is entirely up to you. I would suggest having a read around on the net to see if Note 2 owners with your carrier are generally pleased or fuming with the update. Having said that, some get lucky when everyone else suffers too, so it's up to you. I would say if you are happy enough with 4.1 then stick with it a bit longer until you know everything has settled down, because if you install the update and everything goes pear shaped you could end up with a paralyzed phone until it gets patched. Even the ''stable'' patch is causing problems...

@Tim, the stable update for 4.3 is supposed to be rolling out now. But the early reports seem to indicate it's just as problematic as the original. Well, not AS problematic, but far from a stable fix.

— modified on Dec 5, 2013 11:22:12 AM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Dec 5, 2013 5:45:06 PM via Website

TO Irwin..............with the new update this is an option now to have it flash for notifications. I find it very annoying! go to settings/my device/Accessibility scroll down to Hearing. there you will see Flash Notification. Un check that :-)

— modified on Dec 5, 2013 5:46:13 PM

Dec 5, 2013 9:09:10 PM via Website

I am having this issue too, have you come up with any solutions to make it stop?

Dec 6, 2013 3:12:07 PM via Website

I, too, am having the same issues as well as all my music disappeared. I just did the upgrade 2 days ago, so not sure how that was possible if the update was pulled. :mad:

Dec 7, 2013 12:57:37 AM via Website

I have a samsung galaxy note 3. I use facebook through the browser because I don't like the fb app. I have been informed by samsung that the emoticons in facebook messaging does not work "is not compatible with 4.3 update"
  • Forum posts: 5

Dec 8, 2013 1:09:56 PM via Website

Today I had message SD card removed,this happened with first 4.3 update but Samsung had alledgedly sent 4.3 correction update week ago.Battery life still useless

Dec 9, 2013 4:23:02 AM via Website

THANK YOU! Ron Price, This worked on my Sprint S3!
No more constant downloads.

— modified on Dec 9, 2013 4:26:39 AM

• Forum posts: 57

Dec 9, 2013 6:36:52 AM via Website

Have not seen any update in denmark at this moment.
I can for that reason, not say anything at all.
Maby we have to wait untill after new year in Denmark.

Dec 11, 2013 5:37:07 PM via Website

Clearing the download cache/data worked for me so far. No phantom download notifications on my S3.

— modified on Dec 11, 2013 5:37:39 PM

• Forum posts: 145

Dec 11, 2013 5:44:02 PM via Website

Mine's definitely a lot more under control than the average seems to be, but I'm pretty horrified by the battery life. Like down to 60% half an hour after being fully charged, sometimes. But I think I'm lucky -- nothing else so very disastrous.

Dec 11, 2013 5:52:27 PM via Website

Dummy question. How can I check if I have the patch update?

Dec 12, 2013 8:06:12 PM via Website

@Andrew - I've got a Note 2 (unlocked N7100 version) that I recently updated to 4.3 and wish I never would have. I encountered some of the same problems listed here immediately after doing the update. I would echo Kris' suggestion to wait it out for a bit. Even if the update would have went smoothly, the new features in 4.3 were of no use to me. I was primarily doing the update for performance improvements, and I ended up with just the opposite.
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 12, 2013 9:06:43 PM via Website

Clifford Wiebe
Dummy question. How can I check if I have the patch update?

I think it's all push upgrades that you shouldn't have to manually check for. Your phone will nag you about upgrading! If it's not doing that, you've probably gotten all the updates they've sent your way for now. If you feel like checking manually, go to Settings>About Phone>Software Update then check for update.