The story of my phone *Touch screen not responding after water damage*

  • Replies:23
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 9, 2013 4:25:27 PM via Website

Let me tell you a story, my friends. More because I must vent than because of your intense curiosity. (But really, guys... calm down a little, ok? I'll tell you!)

It all began the fateful day that I made the mistake of waking up. I brushed my teeth, then immediately began curling my hair, since I'd showered the night before. It took too long. I had to leave the house at 6:45, but I only finished curling at 6:41. I dove into my red and white striped candy cane tights and black skirt and green sweater and grabbed a handful of jewelry and my makeup bag. The reason my hair had to be curled that day (yesterday, btw... 12/8/2013) is because the long-awaited Christmas concert was that evening, and I feel more Christmasy with curled hair. We were excited. We were going to be good. ("We" being the church choir.) We arrived at church and found the rehearsal hall overflowing with adorable children and not quite as adorable adult choir members. Such festivity. We settled down. We warmed up. We rehearsed. We marched in and sang. We sang very well, starting at verse 2. In verse 1, the children's choir (which rarely sings with us) was not following the conductor's timing. (Our conductor is world-renowned, literally -- he is aymayzeeng.) We marched out. We scattered into the sanctuary, like little mice. Good sermon... learned from it, which is my favorite kind. :) But back to my saga! Pay attention, now; we're nearing the devastating event itself. After the sermon, we went back to the rehearsal hall, organized, marched out again, sang again (I love the music just as much the second time through). We dispersed. Some people told us there was a 20 somethings lunch at church, but it wasn't in the announcements. A friend texted to ask if I would meet her there, because she had confirmed it was occurring. Well, I was already at the mall by then -- the scene of the crime. Most of my jeans have flap pockets, not just slip pockets, so I keep my phone in my hand, my purse, or ,rarely, my hip pocket (cuz it really doesn't fit). But YESTERDAY I was wearing a different pair of jeans, that DO have slip pockets. Therefor my phone was in my back pocket. I had forgotten. And then I visited the restroom. Yes, it happened. My gorgeous phone, sitting in the toilet. Now don't worry... the order of events wasn't horrifyingly gross. But still shockingly gross, ya know? Not to mention MY PHONE WAS IMMERSED IN WATER!! Well, step 1 I cleaned it VERY THOR.OUGH.LY. Step 2, I held each piece under the hand drier until water stopped surfacing (it wasn't a really hot one... just blasty). I did that for several minutes. At this point, I was supposed to be heading back to the church to go to the lunch, which I DID want to go to, but I did NOT want to be committed, as I was, to spending it with certain people. But there it is. They have the lunches regularly, so no big. So my phone is in pieces, blasted dry, and I have to go. I KNOW you're not supposed to turn a phone on until you've dried it in rice for a while and all that jazz, but I needed it that day. Like NEEDED it. I decided to try. It turned on. It worked. Hallelujah!! But I know it's too early to say long-term. When I arrived at the church, the colors had started diluting. It's still working, though. Lunch bores me, but the turkey wrap from Jason's Deli is tasty. After lunch, colors are good, but touch screen isn't responding. Ugh. I head back to the mall, where I'm with 3 other people. We decide we aren't feeling the mall, and head back to the church, which is absolutely gorgeous and cosy and has tons of awesome sitting areas. We FINALLY find a door that isn't locked (and yes, it's raining... and yes, I should have known to try that one first), and we sit down and chat. After a little while it's nearing call time. I head to the rehearsal hall, and we run through that one song a final time. We sang it well. I'm pleased, and so is our director (rather a rarity). We run through some reminders, and then it's time. The (really large) church is PACKED, and I have fun picking out faces I know, as I'm sitting there waiting for our queue to begin. Not going to give play by play of the concert, but it was a rush -- all round successful, though of course glitches throughout. Nobody noticed them. Our director is good. :) Touch screen still not responding. :( I listened to rap all the way home. At arrival, I put my phone in a bag of rice. This morning, touch screen still not responding, back in the bag. And that is where we stand.

In conclusion, merry Christmas, and my coffee needs refilling!

— modified on Dec 9, 2013 5:38:00 PM by moderator

  • Forum posts: 1,077

Dec 9, 2013 4:48:43 PM via Website

Oh No! I am so sorry to hear about your phone. Good thing is... it still turns on so there is some hope ;)

I would try putting the battery (and any cards from the phone) in a bag of uncooked rice for 24-48 hours to draw any remaining moisture from the phone. If you are still having the issue you might have to replace the screen.

Let us know how it works out!
  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 9, 2013 5:06:21 PM via Website

Thanks, Mary! Everything is in rice, currently.

So, would it be dumb to try it without waiting a solid 24 hours or so? I mean, am I risking shorting anything, or am I kind of past that point, since it is responding to some degree, not to mention I already turned it on yesterday? Basically, I'm very impatient, so I'd like to check it again!! Bad idea?

  • Forum posts: 1,077

Dec 9, 2013 5:15:03 PM via Website

I would personally just let it sit in the rice for a whole 48 hours. I would be impatient too but it won't help anything really. :P It could be that there is some water inside the phone, so let's see if the rice will help dry it all up. I don't think anything less than 24 hrs will help.

— modified on Dec 9, 2013 5:15:29 PM

  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 9, 2013 5:16:13 PM via Website

Okay FINE. I'll try. Detoxing. Ugh. Now I'll be very irritable.

  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 9, 2013 5:20:39 PM via Website

So a ziploc full of rice is good, right? Some said bowl, but I figured air tight?

  • Forum posts: 1,077

Dec 9, 2013 5:28:57 PM via Website

I think it is best to put it in a Ziploc bag (closed) surrounded by the rice. Store it in a warm, dry place for 24-48 hours and hope for the best!

Rice, any generic type, ideally not “enriched”, as it leaves a lot of white powder.

— modified on Dec 9, 2013 5:30:48 PM

  • Forum posts: 145

Dec 10, 2013 4:56:14 PM via Website

*shamefaced* Ok, so I tried it after BARELY 24 hours because I couldn't wait any longer.........

...........BUT it's working!! :D The touch screen was responding when I tried it last night, but the soft menu and back buttons, on either side of the home button, were not. Decided to just give it time, not put it back in rice. This morning they were working also. Everything functioning perfectly, including camera! Actually, haven't tried speakers or headphone jack.... but I'll get around to that. I'm so pleased!

  • Forum posts: 1,338

Dec 11, 2013 2:50:01 PM via Website

That's good news. I had one of those waterproof pouches at a ''liquid'' festival, the ones where you get hammered and sit in a inner tube. Anyways, suffice it to say the waterproof pouch was not so waterproof and at the end of the day I had to empty the puddle out of the bottom of it. My phone (HTC Desire) was off (not sure if it was off when I put it in the pouch) but I left it to dry for a couple of days and it too came back to life fully. So a shower is not the end of the world. Patience, some rice and a pinch of good luck is all you need.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 21, 2014 8:11:39 PM via Website

I have a droid hd by Motorola the fist time this phone was droped into water it did not mess up at all this is the second time I have actually droped this phone into the water the first itme I never let the phone turn off and it worked fine everything this time I droppe din the tub again it came back on but the phone touch want work everything msic and everything eles charger is working except the touch doe not I canot do anything the phone has not been working for a couple day I don't know what to do can you please help me my droid is a blue and you know they don't really carry them in stock like that can you help me figure this out because it makes the noise when there a message it makes noise when theres a call I calle dit with my sisters phone and it worked fine but its touch will not work
  • Forum posts: 145

Mar 21, 2014 8:13:53 PM via Website

Stick it in a bag of rice for a couple days... I bet it'll come out alright. Since some things are working, the whole thing isn't fried.

  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,322

Mar 24, 2014 6:45:07 AM via Website

What about Silica Gel, I have a handful of Silica Gel packets. Some of my friend suggested that putting your device in a air tight bad filled of silica gel works the same way like rice and your device don't even smell like the rice. :wacko::unsure::rolleyes: does that works too for drying the device.
  • Forum posts: 145

Mar 24, 2014 12:10:47 PM via Website

Actually silica gel works better than rice... good idea!

  • Forum posts: 1,338

Mar 24, 2014 5:44:59 PM via Website

Sure, if you have enough silica gel it'll do the same trick. The point of rice is that pretty much everyone has a plentiful supply of it at all times. Not everyone will have a big old bag of silica gel! Good tip though!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 14, 2015 3:11:52 AM via Website

Well for some reason i ended up here, and for another reason i read your whole post.
One of the mistakes was air drying your phone. Never do that. All it does, is force/push the water further into the tiny electrical components.
(for the people who read this and duplicate the steps she took)
Its good to hear it was fine in the end though.

Never air dry
1. Remove from water as soon as possible.
2. Immediately take the battery out to prevent any short circuits. Don't try to turn on, also don't try to plug in.
3. Vacuum the moisture/water out/Wipe dry every thing you can
4. Fill an airtight jar of rice. Place phone in rice and seal the cap (silica works better)
Airtight jar so rice doesn't take moisture from the atmosphere and only from your phone.

On second thought, maybe just try baking your phone in the oven for 8 hours or so at lowest temperature (under 120F) to promote evaporation or try rice and in the oven? (WITHOUT THE BATTERY)

Happy phone reviving.

— modified on Jan 14, 2015 3:14:27 AM

  • Forum posts: 1

May 17, 2016 4:27:21 AM via Website

Hi! Earlier today I took a shower and when I got out and dressed, my screen turned orange for 5 minutes then shut off. I put it in rice and it still hasn't turned on. The buttons work as if it was on but the screen doesn't. I don't know what to do and I need it to work for this week since I have a major call interview and I am freaking out! What should I do??!!?

  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 4, 2016 5:29:31 AM via Website

Someone spilled pop all over my tablet a few days ago :(. I tried to turn it off and then I put it in rice for 48 hours. After that it turned on after I charged it for a few hours but the touchscreen didn't work so I put it in a bag of silica gel for another 48 hours. I just took it out and the touchscreen still doesn't work. I'm kind of freaking out right now so any help would be appreciated.