Samsung Galaxy S4 — S4 stuck at the Verizon Screen

• Replies:7
Doug Britton
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 24, 2014, 2:01:23 AM via Website

Started ~ 3 days ago with random reboot(seems to happen when pressing the home button to turn on the screen), then one time it would not boot past the Verizon screen. Removed battery, and then it rebooted. 2 days later, and several reboots later, and now it will not boot past the Verizon screen. Tried wiping the cache (twice as suggested elsewhere) - didn't work. Then did factory reset, that didn't work. Tried exchanging the sim card with an identical phone, my phone did not boot past the Verizon screen when the other phone booted fine (with my sim card in it). Also tried to boot without the SD card in, no difference. Always hangs with the Verizon screen showing. At a total loss...

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Mar 24, 2014, 11:50:09 AM via Website

Hi there,

You could try what John suggested if you feel comfortable doing this. Otherwise, here is what I suggest:

• Turn off the device
  • PRESS and HOLD: HOME KEY, VOL-UP and POWER Key
  • When the Phone Vibrates, let go of the power key but continue to hold Vol-UP and HOME Keys
  • When the Android System Recovery Screen appears, Release the Vol-Up and Home Keys.
  • Press the Volume down Key to highlight 'wipe cache partition'
  • Press the Power Key to Select, The hone should automatically restart of the cache is wiped.

If the problem persists, you might need to bring it in to Verizon.

Doug Britton
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 24, 2014, 1:44:44 PM via Website

Loie Favre
Hi there,

You could try what John suggested if you feel comfortable doing this. Otherwise, here is what I suggest:

• Turn off the device
  • PRESS and HOLD: HOME KEY, VOL-UP and POWER Key
  • When the Phone Vibrates, let go of the power key but continue to hold Vol-UP and HOME Keys
  • When the Android System Recovery Screen appears, Release the Vol-Up and Home Keys.
  • Press the Volume down Key to highlight 'wipe cache partition'
  • Press the Power Key to Select, The hone should automatically restart of the cache is wiped.

If the problem persists, you might need to bring it in to Verizon.

Thanks - went through all of this earlier to no avail.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Mar 24, 2014, 5:22:32 PM via Website

Hey @Doug, unfortunately, if the clearing of partitions didn't work your only solution is to reflash the firmware, as @John suggests. Clearing the cache partition and Dalvik cache before and after a reflash is a good idea too, to head off any possible boot problems before they have a chance to give you a headache.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Mar 25, 2014, 3:52:05 AM via Website

Yep, I agree--you're going to have to reflash the firmware. As I understand it (though I've only done it with a tablet), the Samsung Kies program does a pretty good job of that. You will lose all your data, though. Just plug in your phone to your computer, open Kies (it's downloadable from the Samsung support page) and do an emergency firmware restore. It should walk you through that process itself.

--I do a good impression of myself--

robofont
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 26, 2017, 1:39:14 PM via Website

Doug,
Did you ever get to solve the issue you wrote up here over three years ago?
I searched online and I ran into this post. I have the exact same problem.

I have performed everything recommended here, to no avail.
I have also run the Kies application (Mac) as advised below, but nothing can be performed unless the device is connected with Kies, but the device cannot connect with Keys precisely because it does not boot past the Verizon screen...

So, how can any new firmware be installed???
I'm stuck !!!

Many thanks in advance..
Robbo

Mary Knuth
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 17, 2018, 11:02:26 PM via Website

I had the same problem. I did the factory reset and cleared the cache partition (by doing the up volume,home,power keys), and that did the job. Lost everything, but the phone works. Good Luck!