- Forum posts: 1,116
May 14, 2014, 11:26:40 AM via Website
May 14, 2014 11:26:40 AM via Website
Since the international unlocked version of the Galaxy S3, version GT-I9300 won't be getting KitKat, you can root it and then install a KitKat custom ROM. Be careful with this procedure and follow every step as described below. Neither AndroidPIT or I will take responsibility for any bricked or damaged phones.
What you need
- Unlocked Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (international 3G model, no carrier branding)
- Stock Samsung Android 4.3
- Odin v3.09
- Ensure you have relevant drivers for the Galaxy S3 installed on your computer ( this will automatically happen the first time you plug in with a USB cable).
- Have USB Debugging enabled in the Developer Options of your S3 (Settings > About Phone > Build Number and tap it seven times until Developer Options are enabled.
- baterry should be charged to 80%
- Backup important data on your device you want to restore after the root procedure is done, because everything will be wiped otherwise.
- Turn off the S3
- restart in Download Mode (press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power until you see the triangle warning screen. Press Volume Up to enter Download Mode)
- on your PC, extract the two files above (Odin and CF-Auto-Root) and put Odin in the same folder as the unpacked Auto-Root files. Nex launch Odin.
- Connect the S3 (still in Download Mode) to your PC with a USB cable. Ensure that it gets recognized by Odin (ID: COM box turns blue upon recognition).
- Click the AP box and locate the tar.md5 file in the unpacked CF-Auto-Root files.
- The Repartition box should NOT checked. Ensure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time ARE checked.
- Click Start and wait. Do not disconnect the S3. This should take some time to process.
- If you check Auto Reboot in Odin, the S3 will reboot. If you didn't, manually reboot your phone now. You will then see a Pass message in Odin.
- Disconnect the S3 from the PC. The SuperSU app will now be installed on the Galaxy S3.
From the Google Play Store, Install Root Checker and give it superuser privileges. Launch the app and confirm root access when asked.
Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! Important to all community members: please read before posting