Samsung Galaxy S3 No Signal.. Help Please!!

• Replies:12
Amanda G.
  • Forum posts: 4

May 15, 2014, 8:34:43 AM via Website

Hi, I have a Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 (originally T-Mobile) that I use with Straight Talk I have a SIM card in it from the BYOP program. It is not getting any signal/service.

I have verified that it's still unlocked, not blacklisted, the SIM works in my other phone as well but I ordered a new SIM anyway and that SIM works in both phones so it is not the SIM. I have done a factory reset but still nothing. I have also taken the battery out, put it back in, and turned phone on but it didn't work.. I have done all the steps that Straight Talk suggest. I also checked and I still have an IMEI number. I have done a software update.

Sometimes the phone will have 4G but then seconds later it will go back to no service/signal and say searching on the unlock screen. The icon at the top is a circle with a slash through it. When I try to make a call when it has that icon it says mobile network not available. My APN settings have been updated and are correct and airplane mode is not on. I have GSM/WCDMA only selected and have tried switching to the other two but still nothing. This might not be important but my Wi-Fi does still work. My girlfriend has the same phone and has no problems getting signal. Mobile network is selected.. I have no idea what else I can try I'm getting so frustrated.

Can anyone help? I am so tired of having basically a paper weight!!

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

May 15, 2014, 10:47:11 AM via Website

well, @Amanada Try going to the settings> under Wireless Network>more settings>mobile network> Network mode and change it to the auto connect then have a look at the network. Does your device is receiving the signals properly

xoomy
  • Forum posts: 1

May 15, 2014, 4:05:57 PM via Website

its a rom issue by the sounds softbricked jus do firmware flash original u can root with root n binary with restore to unlock sim/network or kingsroot after that u do pro full backup includes the iemi that is obvously been wiped or baseband wrong ver it why u got no service

Amanda G.

May 15, 2014, 8:49:19 PM via Website

I will try that later today and let you know if it worked

Amanda G.

May 15, 2014, 8:51:17 PM via Website

@xoomy. If I do a firmware flash will let make it lock again? I know it's still unlocked right now but I don't want to root and flash if it's going to lock it again. What would happen if I did do that?

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

May 16, 2014, 11:51:36 AM via Website

Hi Amanda, if you've unlocked a smartphone with the official unlock code from your carrier it should stay unlocked no matter what firmware you flash on it, official or custom. Having said that I'm not sure if you need to root and ROM it anyway.

So you said the new SIM card works fine? How long have you tested it for? I'd give it a while to see if the same issues appear after a while or not (if not you might be better off just switching SIM cards, unless you're particularly attached to your existing phone number. if you are then you can try @xoomy's suggestion). I can't quite figure out how the ''bad'' SIM card works fine in another phone, and the ''good'' SIM card works in the ''bad'' device - that seems to exclude both the SIM and the phone as the cause of the problem.

Let us know how you go with the suggestions above and thank you for being so thorough in your OP. You've certainly covered everything!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Amanda G.

May 16, 2014, 11:00:24 PM via Website

It doesn't matter which SIM is in the phone it does the same thing. I tried flashing but it did not help.

Kris Carlon

Hi Amanda, if you've unlocked a smartphone with the official unlock code from your carrier it should stay unlocked no matter what firmware you flash on it, official or custom. Having said that I'm not sure if you need to root and ROM it anyway.

So you said the new SIM card works fine? How long have you tested it for? I'd give it a while to see if the same issues appear after a while or not (if not you might be better off just switching SIM cards, unless you're particularly attached to your existing phone number. if you are then you can try @xoomy's suggestion). I can't quite figure out how the ''bad'' SIM card works fine in another phone, and the ''good'' SIM card works in the ''bad'' device - that seems to exclude both the SIM and the phone as the cause of the problem.

Let us know how you go with the suggestions above and thank you for being so thorough in your OP. You've certainly covered everything!

h w

Nov 13, 2014, 9:07:50 PM via Website

I have a verizon galaxy s3 on android 4.4.2. i have spent ~20 hours reading and researching this dang thing. i put in my straight talk sim (which works perfectly fine on my at&t galaxy rugby pro, good signal, everything perfect) and the galaxy s3 signal will go 2 bars, 1 bar, no signal (circle with slash), then back to 2 bars, 1 bar, no signal...like a cycle...i am about to give up, i can't figure out what the heck is causing it. i've tried just about everything, i am pretty tech savvy and i am sure i've done all the normal basic things (change to gsm, proper apn settings, etc.)...again it's almost like it's a cycle, the timing of the signal loss and everything seems consistent. it will allow me to make a call when at 2 bars but it takes forever to connect the call and by the time i'm talking to someone i get about 5 seconds with them and the call is dropped because it goes through it's "cycle"....please please help

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Nov 14, 2014, 2:39:27 AM via Website

h w

I have a verizon galaxy s3 on android 4.4.2. i have spent ~20 hours reading and researching this dang thing. i put in my straight talk sim (which works perfectly fine on my at&t galaxy rugby pro, good signal, everything perfect) and the galaxy s3 signal will go 2 bars, 1 bar, no signal (circle with slash), then back to 2 bars, 1 bar, no signal...like a cycle...i am about to give up, i can't figure out what the heck is causing it. i've tried just about everything, i am pretty tech savvy and i am sure i've done all the normal basic things (change to gsm, proper apn settings, etc.)...again it's almost like it's a cycle, the timing of the signal loss and everything seems consistent. it will allow me to make a call when at 2 bars but it takes forever to connect the call and by the time i'm talking to someone i get about 5 seconds with them and the call is dropped because it goes through it's "cycle"....please please help

Press gently on sim slot .
I guess this is a hardware problem

Ready To Help You.

abdulwali

Nov 18, 2014, 12:28:44 AM via Website

Hi My name is abdulwali.I have also the Signals Problem. When i call any person then this mobile shown me 'OUR OF SERVICE AAREA" what the mean of this stupid word please tell me anyone *admin edit:personal email address not allowed *:(

— modified on Dec 5, 2014, 7:13:25 PM by moderator

Ali Ahmed

Sep 3, 2015, 11:30:08 AM via Website

I Fixed this issue easily with these Steps, You can also fix that Easily Check out:

Go to androidmaniapro.com/how-to-fix-cell-phone-that-says/

— modified on Sep 3, 2015, 11:30:48 AM

Sadam Gaad

Oct 8, 2015, 12:11:16 PM via Website

i have also faced a same problem from many days, every body suggested me go to setting, mobile network, and select network, when I tried to search network, I found error while searching, and also when I was selecting auto, it showing that unable to connect,.. then I went to call setting, where I select to receive all calls from internet as well as from mobile sim and problem has been solved then I came to setting of mobile network and selected my inserted sin network. Now both works well, Sim as well as Mobile data.

but in my cell there is another problem, I will remain thankful if any body suggest their valuable experience regarding below mentioned problem.

My cell S3 Samsung doing charging in ON condition only, but when I switch OFF, it does not charge, when I switch On then it start charging.