Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 — Unable to play video files

• Replies:19
Allan Blount
  • Forum posts: 3

Jun 26, 2014, 8:37:33 PM via Website

I have tried all sorts of converters. Whenever I move the converted file to my Tab, I get the "can't play video file", what on earth am I doing wrong? I have tried Xvid, mp4, avi, they all come up with the same error.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jun 27, 2014, 4:28:02 AM via Website

Download Mx player Or km player from Google play store .which support all the format

Ready To Help You.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jun 27, 2014, 6:41:13 AM via Website

Well, first of all can you tell us type of the video file you are trying convert over your tab??? I am sure tab is good enough to play almost all the format of the video file, like @mobilecracker said you can use MX Player to play most of the file type. But yes on MX player I have seen a bug i.e sometimes it's unable to playback the voice of .mp4 file it can play the video but you are not going to hear any ...... I would say try using VLC player, it's good enough to play all the media format available. :)

Allan Blount
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 6, 2014, 5:01:51 PM via Website

I have tried multiple video players including MX, VLC, KM still unable to play films, the film was an mp4, 1280x544, wont play as is or when converted to samsung compatible format, losing my mind with this, copied to ext SD, and internal SD on tab 2? I'm running cyanogenmod 11, would this cause any problems?

— modified on Jul 6, 2014, 5:03:35 PM

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jul 7, 2014, 5:49:37 AM via Website

Well, Allan I don't think running Cyanogenmod would be a problem :? Try copying the mp4 file over to your PC/Laptop and then try opening it, this would help you in understanding whether the problem is with the mp4 file or ..??? If the file doesn't work in the PC/Laptop then I am sure the file may be damaged while conversion ... Try checking, it in the mean time and let us see if some of our community members came up with something new. :)

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 11

Jul 7, 2014, 7:34:15 AM via Website

Fore know the more about the "Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" click this link-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_2_10.1
For download the "MX PLAYER" click this link-
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad&hl=en

Jack David
  • Forum posts: 7

Feb 6, 2015, 4:20:06 AM via Website

You may try other converters. Have you tried Handbrake, Format Factory, TenorshareVideoConverter ? which are I have known.

Shan DiaZ
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 24, 2015, 3:04:52 PM via Website

I have the same issue. MX Player doesn't work, VLC, nor any other player for that matter. It use to play on my Tab 3 without any issues.

jdsage

May 20, 2015, 8:23:43 AM via Website

Here it is a year later and I'm having the same problem with my brand-new Tab A 8". The device is beautiful and works wonderfully. It plays a random selection of 4 out of 11 videos uploaded to it: XviD .avi, .mp4, .mkv... doesn't seem to care what I do when making the files, using Format Factory or Handbrake or any other popular creator/converter. And none of the files has any trouble anywhere else. There's something about the Samsung tablets that just isn't "normal."

Chuck Gustaveson

Jul 5, 2015, 8:23:42 PM via Website

This may apply to others besides me. I was going mad trying different formats using MV4Gear and Handbrake and copying the files and testing them on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Well it turns out that I bought a counterfeit Samsung EVO 128GB miniSD card from Ebay. When I swithched to my SanDisk miniSD - all the movies worked fine. MV4 or MP4.

Be careful where you buy your memory cards!

Nigel Irving
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 5, 2015, 3:37:37 PM via Website

Chuck Gustaveson

This may apply to others besides me. I was going mad trying different formats using MV4Gear and Handbrake and copying the files and testing them on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Well it turns out that I bought a counterfeit Samsung EVO 128GB miniSD card from Ebay. When I swithched to my SanDisk miniSD - all the movies worked fine. MV4 or MP4.

Be careful where you buy your memory cards!

Have been having the same trouble with a samsung card, bought off ebay, I'm convinced mine is a counterfeit, how did you check? I've just ordered a Kingston card from a supplier I've used before so hopefully this will work

Nigel Irving
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 11, 2015, 10:48:16 AM via Website

New genuine card works, all movies play. Check you card with h2testw

Elvalin
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 12, 2015, 9:14:41 PM via Website

Method one: Instal media players for Galaxy devices

Install some third party players like VPlayer, Mobo Video Player, BSPlayer, MX Video Player, etc. to play more popular video and audio formats.

Method two: Change Video Format for Galaxy Series

Doing reformation will liberate you from the predicament for playing any movies on the go only with few clicks. Here is the way I try (ifastime.com/play-videos-on-galaxy-tab-s2.html).

— modified on Sep 12, 2015, 9:15:32 PM

joeya101

Mar 6, 2017, 7:50:14 PM via Website

I had the same problem playing movies on my Galaxy tab A. The movies were being played from my Samsung evo mini SD card and using vlc to play the files.
It took me a few days to figure it out trying everything mentioned on this post, but I solved it by formatting my mini SD card. I re-transferred the files back onto the now-empty card and now all the movies play flawlessly.

Deactivated Account

Mar 23, 2017, 9:02:33 PM via Website

I had a similar problem with Samsung Galaxy Tab A. It would only play the first 5-6 movies copied to the 128gb SD Card. After 5-6 the movies would copy (or look like they copied) but the icon looked like the video player icon and it would not play. If I deleted all movies and copied them back but in a different order the movies that did play now won't because they were the 7th or 8th copied. Thought I was going crazy. Another SD Card I tried did the same thing. Turns out I had to reduce the resolution of the movies from a width of 720 to 480 AND use a brand new SD Card. Reducing the resolution didn't help until I put the movies on the new card. The 480's wouldn't even play on the 128gb, I'm thinking it was a counterfeit too. I know the resolution of the tablet is 1024x768 so I didn't think 720 would have been a problem, guess I was wrong.

Elvalin

Jan 29, 2018, 10:49:45 AM via Website

Following are Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 supported playback formats:
Video formats supported:WMV9,WMV7,WMV8,H.264,MPEG4,DivX,H.264,VP8
Audio formats supported: MP3,AAC,AAC+,eAAC+,WMA,RA

Annie Lee
  • Forum posts: 14

Feb 24, 2018, 8:39:28 AM via Website

Could I confirm which format your files is? If your files are purchased and rented from iTunes store, although you have use some converters, you are not able to play them on Samsung Tab, since they are protected by DRM technology. In order to make it possible, you should remove DRM protection with professional iTunes DRM removal tool, like DRmare M4V Converter, since it can also convert iTunes M4V to Samsung Galaxy Tab compatible formats. Hope it's useful for you.

blackshady

Aug 20, 2019, 12:01:10 PM via Website

It is probably the DRM which prevents you to play it.
Try this itunes drm removal converter called TunesKit M4V Converter. It can completely reomve the drm, and the quality of the video will remain unharmed.
Hope it helps.

KKMIN
  • Forum posts: 10

Jan 13, 2020, 12:10:28 PM via Website

Try Joyoshare Video Converter. It can directly convert any video to Samsung Galaxy Tab compatible format.

marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

Jan 13, 2020, 12:20:52 PM via Website

Very old thread but in case someone has the same problem the answer is VLC Player. Whatever you give him to play it plays