NX505J Nubia Z7 MAX: root, CWM recovery and CM11 ROM tutorial

• Replies:190
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 20, 2014 12:16:01 AM via Website

Valence Little

Hi,
I really need help with the whole rooting --> CWM--> flash ROMS--> google store.
Please contact me via inbox!!!?

Thanks in advance, Valence

Ask right here,
Read the first post, it explains everything you should need to know.

• Forum posts: 8

Oct 20, 2014 12:23:13 PM via Website

Hi everyone

Yesterday, as I wanted to use WAZE app to go home with navigation, CM and my Z7 rebooted 3 times.
Then I stopped using navigation, Waze works perfectly..
Any one had the same problem?

Phil

• Forum posts: 4

Oct 20, 2014 12:27:04 PM via Website

Flashing with dd in a root shell recovery.img, tried to flash the zip, but same error. (Satus7)
My CWM is 6.0.5.0 build
Any help is welcome ;-)

— modified on Oct 20, 2014 12:34:09 PM

Oct 20, 2014 1:37:37 PM via Website

Senapus Petit

Antitalentum

Hi!

Thanks for the guide, I'll try it later. Currently I'm on international stock rom v1.29, it's not bad, but not fully translated.

Senapus Petit

I am now uploading this third edition of the ROM.
The new ROM has many bug fixes and uses a new kernel.
Infrared works and the ROM comes with stock Nubia infrared app.

Is everything working well now in third edition?

Yes it seems everything is working well.

There are few minor bugs in cyanogenmod lockscreen features: can't set bold hours/minutes/date
The notification led does not pulse, just turns on. It works but not like the stock ROM.

So far ZTE has not released the official kernel to developers (and they refused to release it) so an unofficial kernel is being built, with the next releases the pulse light notification might be reworked. But it also might not be since it works as it is.

Antitalentum

gneoh

Thanx for the guide for flashing this CM11 rom....everything is sweet and smooth except the bug of loosing the record(indication) of incoming calls from whether SIM 1/2 which is inconvenience........wonder if the new update has this fixed?

Is this problem fixed in third edition?

I could not replicate this problem on my device.

Antitalentum

Is "breath light" working in CM11? I mean, does it show missed calls or messages?

It shows the notifications but the light does not pulse on and off, it just lights up when there is a notification. This feature is being worked on by the guys who are coding the kernel.

Did the update to Edition III yesterday........Sim 2 does not ring, downloaded dual sim ring tone and rebooted few times and everything is sweet and smooth again. Thanx for the update SP
p/s : dual sim identification in call history works fine now

• Forum posts: 2

Oct 20, 2014 3:03:27 PM via Website

Hiya,

I'm considering picking up the Mini, but ZTEs notorious dodging of GPL compliance makes me cautious ;) Did they actually refuse to provide source that will build? It's encouraging to see some work being done on it, though. Are the unofficial devs posting their source anywhere? I'm aware that some in the chinese dev community are no more willing to comply with the licensing requirements than the device manufacturers are.

Lack of full international LTE band support aside, this looks like very good phone for the price. If any of you are in the UK, could you tell me whether HSDPA+ is working reliable with 2 SIMs in? I'd like to use a Giffgaff SIM running on GPRS (for free Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls) and a Three SIM on HSDPA for everything else... ;)

I was considering grabbing a second hand Nexus 5, but I'd really like dual SIM and removable SD support. The camera on the z7 appears to be excellent and ZTE have been bigging up the DAC, so I hope that z7 has good output to headphones too. All in all, I'm very tempted.

Oct 20, 2014 7:50:26 PM via Website

Nathan

Hiya,

I'm considering picking up the Mini, but ZTEs notorious dodging of GPL compliance makes me cautious ;) Did they actually refuse to provide source that will build? It's encouraging to see some work being done on it, though. Are the unofficial devs posting their source anywhere? I'm aware that some in the chinese dev community are no more willing to comply with the licensing requirements than the device manufacturers are.

Lack of full international LTE band support aside, this looks like very good phone for the price. If any of you are in the UK, could you tell me whether HSDPA+ is working reliable with 2 SIMs in? I'd like to use a Giffgaff SIM running on GPRS (for free Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls) and a Three SIM on HSDPA for everything else... ;)

I was considering grabbing a second hand Nexus 5, but I'd really like dual SIM and removable SD support. The camera on the z7 appears to be excellent and ZTE have been bigging up the DAC, so I hope that z7 has good output to headphones too. All in all, I'm very tempted.

ZTE has not released any official Kernel for the Z7 series and they refuse to release anything when asked. They reply with a pre-written mail.
There are active devs on github though.

— modified on Oct 20, 2014 7:52:49 PM

Oct 20, 2014 7:54:47 PM via Website

Barikad

Flashing with dd in a root shell recovery.img, tried to flash the zip, but same error. (Satus7)
My CWM is 6.0.5.0 build
Any help is welcome ;-)

I'm sorry to hear that, but no one so far has had any problem like the one you're experiencing.
I suspect you're doing something wrong, please double-check every step and try again.
The uploaded files are correct, I have checked them for you.

Oct 20, 2014 7:55:32 PM via Website

I have installed WAZE and tried to replicate the issue but I did not experience any restart or crash.
I guess some other app is conflicting.

Oct 20, 2014 7:59:40 PM via Website

gneoh

Senapus Petit

Antitalentum

Hi!

Thanks for the guide, I'll try it later. Currently I'm on international stock rom v1.29, it's not bad, but not fully translated.

Senapus Petit

I am now uploading this third edition of the ROM.
The new ROM has many bug fixes and uses a new kernel.
Infrared works and the ROM comes with stock Nubia infrared app.

Is everything working well now in third edition?

Yes it seems everything is working well.

There are few minor bugs in cyanogenmod lockscreen features: can't set bold hours/minutes/date
The notification led does not pulse, just turns on. It works but not like the stock ROM.

So far ZTE has not released the official kernel to developers (and they refused to release it) so an unofficial kernel is being built, with the next releases the pulse light notification might be reworked. But it also might not be since it works as it is.

Antitalentum

gneoh

Thanx for the guide for flashing this CM11 rom....everything is sweet and smooth except the bug of loosing the record(indication) of incoming calls from whether SIM 1/2 which is inconvenience........wonder if the new update has this fixed?

Is this problem fixed in third edition?

I could not replicate this problem on my device.

Antitalentum

Is "breath light" working in CM11? I mean, does it show missed calls or messages?

It shows the notifications but the light does not pulse on and off, it just lights up when there is a notification. This feature is being worked on by the guys who are coding the kernel.

Did the update to Edition III yesterday........Sim 2 does not ring, downloaded dual sim ring tone and rebooted few times and everything is sweet and smooth again. Thanx for the update SP
p/s : dual sim identification in call history works fine now

I do not have this issue, have you tried to restart your phone?

Oct 20, 2014 8:17:37 PM via Website

Everything is fine so far.....Edition III smooth as butter.....Waze nav works too with no crash.....v. happy had it updated:)

Oct 20, 2014 9:19:20 PM via Website

There are some official kernel dumps for the Z7 series. The last one was posted about 12 days ago iirc, but no doubt they are incomplete. Just had a quick look on github - looks encouraging, especially if they actually plan to submit the tree to the cm team. Looking forward to seeing a complete kernel source tree out there.

Really tempted to just take chance on this one!

• Forum posts: 11

Oct 22, 2014 10:28:16 AM via Website

What are the advantages of using CM11 rather than the stock rom?

Oct 24, 2014 12:40:54 AM via Website

Biggenz

What are the advantages of using CM11 rather than the stock rom?

You'd get all the advantages of CM11.
Google to find out more about CyanogenMod

Oct 24, 2014 8:40:22 AM via Website

Hello
I've upgraded my phone with CM11 following the steps on 1st page.
I've installed the rom from here : pan.baidu.com/s/1sj9EERz
I think it's a new build
Only problem : no images are shown in the gallery app. I see the folders but no picture into them.
Anyone else get this issue ?
thank you

Oct 24, 2014 12:35:53 PM via Website

Seb P

Hello
I've upgraded my phone with CM11 following the steps on 1st page.
I've installed the rom from here : pan.baidu.com/s/1sj9EERz
I think it's a new build
Only problem : no images are shown in the gallery app. I see the folders but no picture into them.
Anyone else get this issue ?
thank you

That is not CM11, it's Mokee OS, it's another custom ROM developed by other people.
I can't help you with that sorry, I do not use that ROM because it has many bugs CM11 does not have.

• Forum posts: 1

Oct 24, 2014 7:55:30 PM via Website

Dear Senapus,
I am very tempted to buy Z7Max from Etotalk.com with their Rom. It is supposed to be rooted. Since I am newbie for rooting/mod roms etc... (never have tried) I am not sure with updates. I guess I will have to make some update by myself. I mean any of changes to android L or CM11. If am right in all of this, than I am really happy to find this actual forum :-) I hope to buy my Z7Max within month and I will stay tunned :-)
Dawe

• Forum posts: 1

Oct 25, 2014 7:55:32 AM via Website

Hi Georgie,

I have completely the same case with you.
With Nubia Z7 Max, cwm_6.0.5.0, CM11 (IV edition).
I am struggling to encrypt it or not.
In my temporary research, CM11 ROM is using Cyanogenmod system.
The latter is rely on something like Clockworkmod or CWM recovery loader. (Compulsory??).
Clockworkmod & CWM hasn't supported encrypted device (i.e. Let me input password for decryption before it really flash .zip into OR clean the device).
i.e. After encryption, I won't be able to upgrade OR rescue the system using the CWM recovery loader.

Could you help do a simple test by flashing any .apk into device through CWM recovery mode? If the App can be successfully installed, it will prove that above problem don't exist. If failure, we need to further investigate the possibility of changing CWM recovery loader to another one.

— modified on Oct 25, 2014 7:57:56 AM

Oct 25, 2014 9:24:56 AM via Website

Cicada

Hi Georgie,

I have completely the same case with you.
With Nubia Z7 Max, cwm_6.0.5.0, CM11 (IV edition).
I am struggling to encrypt it or not.
In my temporary research, CM11 ROM is using Cyanogenmod system.
The latter is rely on something like Clockworkmod or CWM recovery loader. (Compulsory??).
Clockworkmod & CWM hasn't supported encrypted device (i.e. Let me input password for decryption before it really flash .zip into OR clean the device).
i.e. After encryption, I won't be able to upgrade OR rescue the system using the CWM recovery loader.

Could you help do a simple test by flashing any .apk into device through CWM recovery mode? If the App can be successfully installed, it will prove that above problem don't exist. If failure, we need to further investigate the possibility of changing CWM recovery loader to another one.

As I said up here, there is no CM11 IV edition yet.
What you're flashing is Mokee OS IV edition. It's a different ROM.

Oct 25, 2014 10:31:47 AM via Website

Senapus Petit

That is not CM11, it's Mokee OS, it's another custom ROM developed by other people.
I can't help you with that sorry, I do not use that ROM because it has many bugs CM11 does not have.

Thank you for telling me that :) That's why I had so many problems with dual sim. Now I'm going to install the right one !

• Forum posts: 3

Oct 28, 2014 12:27:03 AM via Website

Hi. I'm running Edition III. Looks great! Any chance of adding apps into the little menu when you hold down an empty spot on the home screen? Thank you very much for all your work :-)