Are mobile game revenues real?

• Replies:13
eren
  • Forum posts: 4

Oct 6, 2014, 3:58:51 PM via Website

Hi to everybody. I need your ideas for a problem. Please help about it.

I want to develop a mobile game and my practices are already started. I am spending to much

time for this job.

I examined google play top grossing list. Most of the games in this list designed

professionally by corporations so there is a team behind of these games. Also there are a

few games designed by just one person and I think a person can finish this kind of game in

1-2 years. For example traffic racer.

Also there are a few web sites which estimating revenu of mobile games. For example

thinkgaming.com.

I could not find daily revenu of traffic racer in thinkgamig but daily revenu of hill climb

racing is around 10000 dolar. Hill climb racin is at the 126 grade in the list and traffic

racer is at 134.

My assumption is this: There is 8 grade difference between hill climb and traffic racer. So

let say traffic racer's revenue is 5000 dolar per day. Another thing thinkgamin is just

giving you estimation, so revenues are not exact amout, but at least they are doing this job

professionaly. Let say thinkgaming is %50 wrong in their estimation. In conclusion traffic

racer making 2500 dolar daily revenu. In a mounth, it is 75000 dolars.

Here is my question and contradiction: Is this job that much profitable, if yes why

everybody do not starting to develeop that kind of middle quality games.

Thanks for your helps.

MasterChat
  • Forum posts: 66

Oct 6, 2014, 4:14:29 PM via Website

Yes. What makes you think it isn't real? The reason it's profitable is because it is doing business.

eren

Oct 6, 2014, 6:12:19 PM via Website

According to my idea, you have already started a game or app development and you should be a rich, but most probably you are not reach or not too much. Why you did not apply my idea. There should be something wrong about my idea.

— modified on Oct 6, 2014, 6:13:09 PM

MasterChat

Oct 7, 2014, 4:04:52 PM via Website

I don't quite get it. What sort of game are you trying to develop?

eren

Oct 7, 2014, 10:00:21 PM via Website

A game which can be made by one person for example traffic racer. I tried to give you a video link but, I haven' permission to send link because of being new member. If you search it on google, you can easliy find a video.

Right now I am not working on a complete game project, I am just trying to learn how to do it, for this reason I am watching tutorials, try to repead this tutorials on unity. Have a nice day.

Animesh Kumar
  • Forum posts: 13

Oct 8, 2014, 8:54:16 AM via Website

Well, no doubt its profitable but what sort of game you are developing is of much concern.

MasterChat

Oct 10, 2014, 4:48:30 PM via Website

eren

A game which can be made by one person for example traffic racer. I tried to give you a video link but, I haven' permission to send link because of being new member. If you search it on google, you can easliy find a video.

Right now I am not working on a complete game project, I am just trying to learn how to do it, for this reason I am watching tutorials, try to repead this tutorials on unity. Have a nice day.

Alright. Let me know if you have the game ready.

Sam
  • Forum posts: 10

Oct 11, 2014, 10:03:50 PM via Website

eren

I think it depends entirely on how well you've thought out your idea. And if you've no experience and the game looks terrible then it's unlikely to bring you in millions...

Sean Mann
  • Forum posts: 6

Oct 15, 2014, 3:11:43 AM via Website

Yes the numbers are likely real. 1-2 years to develop a game like Hill Climb Racing is way too long. That should take 6 months tops, 3 months on average. Also don't expect your first game to be a hit. Expect some success after about the 10th game if you work really hard. So keep this in mind when building your game templates - set up as much as you can to be reuseable, if you want to make platform games then you'll have a lot that you can reuse. Make sure to do what you can to give the game a social component like leaderboards and achievements.
Also not that just making the game is only about 1/3 of the battle. There is a ton of marketing work and money that goes into making a game successful.
I'd suggest going with Unity as it is the most versatile right now and the asset store has fully built games that you can modify with your own artwork to get going. Find artists that are cheap, but good, Fiverr can be good for this. Don't expect anything of quality for free. Free stuff requires a ton of leg work and usually not worth it if you can spend the money for some low-grade assets that you can beef up on your own.
Hope this helps!

Vitors
  • Forum posts: 33

Oct 20, 2014, 4:07:52 AM via Website

I think that developing a good game is important, but marketing it is very important to getting your game out there.

Vishnu Narayana

Nov 3, 2014, 1:17:17 AM via Website

I guess that's the thing with mobile. Success mainly depends on how well you can get the word our, and if you can get on some kind of promoted page, thus to get the first set of users to download your game to catapult you to some kind of visibility on the play store/app store, you need to advertise and market a lot. I read another post recently that had some tips to do just that here, maybe check that out?

Edit: Here's the link: https://www.nextpit.com/forum/612806/5-tips-to-promote-apps-and-games-for-free

— modified on Nov 3, 2014, 1:18:32 AM

AlastairA
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 15, 2014, 7:15:14 PM via Website

Yes those revenues are real... for the one developer who, with a large amount of luck, got it to the top of the app store.

The mistake in your logic is that you're not accounting for all the other games on the app store. There are over 1.3 million apps published on the Google Play store. For every one that earns $5000 per day, there are probably a thousand that haven't been downloaded even once.

So, to work out your expected revenue from publishing any one game, you sum each outcome multiplied by the probability of that outcome. If there's a 1 in 1000 chance of earning $5000 per day, your expected revenue is $5 per day. That's why not everyone is flocking to create mobile games....

AlexMsr
  • Forum posts: 27

May 15, 2021, 11:05:18 PM via Website

It's not so easy so person who like games are keen on such development projects, it's not just about money.

Chenrbili
  • Forum posts: 15

May 18, 2021, 4:28:20 AM via Website

Yes, it is real.

Do you know Pokémon GO? If yes, you can see that Pokémon GO had one of its best months ever for player spending in February, accumulating $124.2 million, an increase of approximately 95 percent Y/Y. This was in part thanks to the ticketed Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto event, in which players attempted to catch all of the original 150 Pokémon. The event took place on February 20, with the title generating $10.6 million in a single day–its best performance since July 29, 2016, when it grossed $13.3 million. That's really awesome. Maybe yoy can learn from it.