Google Nexus 6 — Why I won't buy a Nexus 6

• Replies:15
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 21, 2014, 1:18:34 PM via Website

For starters, I have a Nexus 5. And I love it.

Secondly, it's too expensive for what I originally valued Nexus devices for: value for money.

Thirdly, it's just too big to fit in my pocket. It sounds funny, but seriously, I do have to keep it somewhere!

Fourth, I can flash a stock-ish ROM on any other OEM device I buy anyway, or get a GPe for the same experience. Or just get a Moto X (2014).

Finally, I want microSD expansion and a swappable battery!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

ReneHmm - like it is

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Oct 21, 2014, 5:51:02 PM via Website

I'm still betwixt and between. Part of me is stuck in the 'let's ridicule Galaxy Note owners for holding an embarrassingly large object to their ears while making calls' mindset while another part is just wanting the latest Nexus. I'll probably stay with the Nexus 5 for a while though.

Sinkster

James Ford
  • Forum posts: 7

Oct 22, 2014, 11:14:06 AM via Website

I will be getting one, why?

I love the nexus brand, I have a 5, 7 [2012 + 2013]........

the screen size actually excites me....

I personally don't phone much, but text, email, whatsapp and use social media....

the sdcard issue has been that way from the start, your nexus 5 has no slot........thankfully the 6 comes with 32 and 64 gb only........

I cant wait..........

Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 22, 2014, 5:17:11 PM via Website

I agree with James completely!

— modified on Oct 22, 2014, 5:18:43 PM

thomas rinehart
  • Forum posts: 12

Oct 25, 2014, 7:49:30 PM via Website

I love the nexus brand also. But, it's not in my budget. I may regret this later on, but for now I cannot afford it.

Generic Field
  • Forum posts: 3

Oct 27, 2014, 9:29:40 AM via Website

Two problems
1. Too big. I prefer a smaller phone
2. Expensive

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Oct 27, 2014, 10:03:12 AM via Website

I'm still interested to see and use one to see if I could get used to it. I've used the Note 4 for a bit and the Note 3 before that and while that's too big for my pocket too, I do love what you can do on a huge screen. Plus, all that QHD stock goodness will be hard to pass up. If only it had have gotten the 808 I'd be on it, regardless of the size or price.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 10

Nov 13, 2014, 11:41:52 PM via Website

Kris is just mad for a few reasons:

1. AndroidPIT doesn't pay to afford high-end phones
  2. Isn't able to pre-order yet so his panties get all in a bunch

Why don't you go write 18 more "articles" on the Droid Turbo? :-D

Hmm - like it is

Dec 3, 2014, 3:31:31 AM via Website

For the price of the Nexus 6, it was another asinine decision by Google not to go with an external microSD and battery. You won't win if you want to compete with the iPhone. You have to compete with other Android devices like the top Android sellers like Samsung Galaxy 5 and Note 4.

I too was planning to buy the Nexus 6 , Note 4, or even the Galaxy 6 when it comes out in the spring. However, with the way Google is messing with their [own] apps, OS, and now with the Nexus line, I am basically done with Nexus.

I have some Android devices such as HTC One phone, a couple of Galaxy phones, and two Nexus 7 tablets (2012 and 2013). I downgraded my OS in Nexus 7 2012 back to Jellybean. It was too slow on kitkat. I have rooted my 2013 and I won't be updating to Android 5. Whatever apps I have on their now, will be backed up and used until the apps are no longer supported.

In 2015 or 2016, I'll be jumping on the iOS bandwagon like soooooo many former Android owners who say the same thing: iOS and the iPhone simply works!

Unless there is a major shake up with Google, I won't considered their devices or operating system ever again.

Hmm - like it is

Dec 3, 2014, 3:33:29 AM via Website

Generic Field

Two problems
1. Too big. I prefer a smaller phone
2. Expensive

people said the same about the size with the iphone 1 ---> 5S. now, they love the larger 6 plus. however, the Nexus 6 is overkill in the size department. Watch the Nexus 6 end up like Google glasses and many other Google failures.

Hmm - like it is

Dec 3, 2014, 3:34:44 AM via Website

sinkster

I'm still betwixt and between. Part of me is stuck in the 'let's ridicule Galaxy Note owners for holding an embarrassingly large object to their ears while making calls' mindset while another part is just wanting the latest Nexus. I'll probably stay with the Nexus 5 for a while though.

Ever heard of the mindset: if it works well and it ain't broken, don't replace it?

michael doidge

Dec 12, 2014, 9:01:06 AM via Website

The big screen does take a bit of getting used too, I had a note2 and recently upgraded to the note4 recently.
When I first got my note 2 I found myself feeling a bit arkward with it, but a couple of weeks down the track , you could not get it away from me, the note4 is the same , once you get used to the big screen it's very hard to contemplate a small smart phone .

Rene

Jan 2, 2015, 11:07:24 AM via Website

Same situation and fully agree with the op. As long as android is a single window os, a larger screen doesn't add anymore content to the screen, just bigger letters, so it's just the disadvantage of a clunky device that doesn't fit neither hand or pocket. My Nexus 5 is still the best device available for me, and will remain so until a sub 5" Nexus with otherwise top specs become available.

RonW

Jun 25, 2015, 3:15:11 AM via Website

I am a diehard Apple fanatic. I've had the iPhone since the 3G. Got a MacBook, 2 iPads, even Apple TV.
After seeing and testing my friends Droid Turbo I was intrigued with Android. I researched for months Android
phones. The more I read about Android and Nexus phones the more I liked both. Two weeks ago I sold my iPhone 5 and got the Nexus 6. I love the phone and the Android OS. Sorry Apple. Its been fun but...

Jose Pepe
  • Forum posts: 5

Jul 19, 2015, 11:00:02 AM via Website

I fully agree Kris, I think the new Nexus has lost the fundamental behind nexus phones, which is value for money

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 10

Oct 24, 2015, 3:39:10 PM via App

12 months later...... I beg to differ.... the cost of my recently purchased nexus 6 was just under 50% of its original (UK) retail price, lol, i think that's a more reasonable nexus type of value.
It was a good device @ £499 but @ £245 it's beyond compare, marshmallow straight outa the box awesome.....

RonW