Software update

• Replies:4
Michael Metcalfe
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 30, 2015, 1:30:53 PM via Website

I bought an SM T211 in Singapore over a year ago whilst on holiday. I now find that the software will not update in the UK allegedly due to some spurious EU ruling. It downloads Kitkat but will not install. Samsung Uk claim it will only update if I return to Asia on another holiday!
Is there a way around this please?

John B.
  • Forum posts: 17

Dec 31, 2015, 7:12:34 PM via Website

I believe that you could by going through a VPN connection if it's possible for you.

Adejoh Amedu
  • Forum posts: 17

Dec 31, 2015, 8:03:37 PM via Website

:) Awesome

nilofar shaikh
  • Forum posts: 581

Jan 1, 2016, 1:52:58 PM via Website

Right agree, find a Singapore VPN service so that you can update your phone.

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

Michael Metcalfe
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 4, 2016, 1:11:25 PM via Website

Thanks for this but I am afraid it did not work. I signed up to Zen VPN and have tried twice--by telling the Vpn to say I was located in Singapore(where the tablet was bought) and then in Hong Kong. On both occasions the firmware update downloaded but aborted during installation---exactly as it does when I just use my standard ISP for download. So back to Square one it seems!!
Quite how you can purport to be a worldwide brand and the after purchase find you have restricions imposed on you is beyond me. The answer is never to buy outside your home jurisdiction I suppose.
As I said initially Samsung Support in the UK will not help and claim it is EU legislation which I find it hard to believe. But if anyone else out there has any ideas how I can work around this I would appreciate it.