Can't transfer Whatsapp chat backup to new phone due to old phone limitations.

• Replies:8
Tommygunn
  • Forum posts: 4

Mar 5, 2016, 12:10:39 PM via Website

I'm currently trying to transfer my Whatsapp 'chat backup' from my old phone, a Samsung GT-S5830, to my new phone, a Samsung GT-I8200N.

Now, I thought I could just go to Settings/Chats and Calls/Chat backup and hit 'Back up', pop out the SD card, put it in my new phone and, bam, everything would appear when I fired up Whatsapp on the new phone, but no.

After it says it is 'creating a backup on the SD card' and it also does it at 2.00am it then tells me to 'Select a Google account to continue'. Ok, I scroll down a bit to the Goggle Drive section, select 'Account', select my email and it then asks me to install 'Google Play services to back up to Google Drive'.

This is where my problems begin.
I had a hiccup with Google Play Store earlier, while trying to make RAM space on my phone, so I reinstalled the latest version from APK Mirror, however, when I run it it gives me an 'Error while retrieving information from server. [RH-01]'.
So, since this option is closed to me I manually downloaded the 'Google Play Services' from APK Mirror only to be told that I do not have enough RAM space to run it.
My crappy old phone only has 278MB and I have removed, de-cached and forced stopped everything from it.

The other option I have seen is to remove my email account(Gmail). Problem I'm having there is that when I attempt to 'Remove account' the phone tells me that it is 'required by some applications' and that I should do a factory default reset.

I fear that if I do a factory reset then I will lose my Whatsapp chat data - rock and a hard place.

Why isn't the info, in the first instance, not being offloaded from the SD card to the new phone? I can see my contacts and group chats but not my individual chats, which are the most important.

Any ideas?

Tom.

Junaid Q.
  • Forum posts: 76

Mar 5, 2016, 3:26:47 PM via Website

Hey Tom

You can find whats app chat backup in either device storage or SD card
within folder Whatsapp > Databases
Its where all your chat is stored and

Whatsapp > Media
where all media files, video etc are stored

I advice you make a whats app chat backup from whats within in the SD/device storage
than copy whole whats app folder to the new device place it in device storage than install whats app and make account with the same no.
this may detect your backup and restore it
this method worked for me once try it
Good luck

If you have make backup in google drive than dont worry when you make an account in whatsapp it will detect it if you are using same google account in that device

Tell me if it worked for You

chayusiro
  • Forum posts: 69

Sep 23, 2016, 7:51:19 AM via Website

I don't know wether it can or not, you can try mobile transfer tool to transfer Whatsapp chat backup to new phone. There are lots of such tools online, just google it.

— modified on Sep 26, 2016, 4:19:26 AM

Tommygunn
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 23, 2016, 8:25:12 AM via Website

Thanks for the input from both of you. I can't remember now but I did get this sorted out eventually and all is working fine now with all history/data intact.

Cheers,
Tom.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 19

Apr 13, 2017, 11:25:52 AM via Website

Why no install the google drive in your Samsung GT-S5830, then you will find that when you tap on chat backup, there will be a chat backup record about google drive. After doing this, go back to your new samsung and reinstall the whatsapp again, and pop-up will ask for restore from google drive.
But this method can only restore the latest 7days' message, I suggest you to try the Forecovery Phone Transfer, which can transfer whatsapp message from android to adroid integrally.

Rose Akin
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 29, 2018, 2:00:25 PM via Website

My old phone doesn't have a sim card because I took out and put on my new phone. I can't do anything on whatsapp on the old phone. It tells me no phone number and I have to verify. If I do, I have to do it on the new phone. :?

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Jan 29, 2018, 6:16:13 PM via Website

Hi Rose, welcome to AndroidPIT! :)

You can still verify your number on your old phone. Simply click verify and type in your number. The text message or phone call will arrive on your new phone, but you can type in the provided code on your old one. After you performed the backup and everything, activate WhatsApp on your new phone and restore the data.

Alice
  • Forum posts: 12

Dec 11, 2018, 8:20:00 AM via Website

Phone Transfer program allows you to transfer info from old phone to the new phone easily. By connecting both of them to computer via usb cables, the program will display all info on program window. Just preview and choose info you want to transfer.

Mark Deutsch
  • Forum posts: 27

May 11, 2019, 9:20:24 AM via Website

I don't know weather it can or not, you can attempt versatile exchange device to exchange Whats-app talk reinforcement to new telephone. There are loads of such apparatuses on the web, simply google it.