moving whatsapp files to new phone... help!

• Replies:3
Charles Mitchell
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 8, 2016, 5:54:52 PM via Website

I just bought an S7 edge. My old samsung didn't back up in a month so files restored on my edge are a month out of date. I tried to back up my whatsapp chat from old phone to google drive again, but it wouldn't back up ... so I moved them to my edge s7 via blue tooth. whatsapp is already running on my edgeS7 so moving the files to the whatsapp folder did nothing.

Is there a way to restore the files still? Do I uninstall whatsapp and reinstall it? and if I do uninstall won't the folder I moved the files to disappear with the uninstall ? I have copied these files also to google drive from the Edge S7. if I uninstall whatsapp and reinstall it will it restore the files from google drive? I am skeptical because i didn't get a prompt from google drive to replace old files with the same names when I backed up. Should I just go ahead uninstall and reinstall and hope it backs up from my files on my phone now or from google drive?

Charles Mitchell
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 9, 2016, 7:52:53 AM via Website

Thanks but it didn't help and I also posted on that forum and no one responded.

Bastian Siewers
  • Forum posts: 9,729

Sep 9, 2016, 11:37:32 AM via Website

Hello Charles,

to get the old messages back, you need to uninstall WhatsApp, there is no way to restore anything when WhatsApp is already up and running.

If you moved the files to Drive manually, I am pretty sure WhatsApp is not going to find those files, only the automated backup would work.

So, first uninstall WhatsApp, install it again, move the backup file to the right WhatsApp folder and set up WhatsApp.

Charles Mitchell

golaok
  • Forum posts: 71

Sep 12, 2016, 7:44:40 AM via Website

Maybe you can try mobile transfer tool to help you move whatsapp files from old phone to a new one.

— modified on Sep 14, 2016, 3:53:30 AM