How to stop apps from collecting your email data ?

• Replies:0
martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Oct 16, 2017, 3:35:49 PM via Website

If you’re using a free app or a service, chances are it’s using your information to make money. For instance, Google and Facebook use data like your location and interests to distribute targeted advertising.

The New York Times reported that analytics company Slice sold data about Lyft riders, gleaned from their email receipts to Uber. Slice owns Unroll.me, a service for organizing and deleting subscription emails from your inbox.

Unroll.me users grant the service permission to access emails and other personal information. The service then takes data about their purchases, anonymizes it, and sells it to other companies. People were surprised and outraged to find out this was how Unroll.me used their information.

If you don’t want any companies to collect and sell your data, you can disconnect it from Google’s security page.

Go to “*Connected apps & site*s” click “*Manage app*s.”

There, you’ll find all the applications you’ve authorized to access your Google account. You can see what information they have access to and remove them by clicking on each app.

Facebook, too, lets you see what apps you’ve authorized to see your data. To delete them, go to your Facebook settings (found at the top right of the Notifications tab). Click “Apps,” then click on the “x” icon to remove them.