Arduino + Thunkable + OpenCV = Android Application

• Replies:0
Shounak Ray
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 28, 2018, 2:43:23 AM via Website

Hello!

I am new to OpenCV, however, I have some experience in Android app development through Thunkable, a programming platform which does not require any Java. I have some expertise in C++, so I was wondering what platform I should download so I can integrate the OpenCV logic with my Thunkable logic. This is for guidance on a project I am working on!!!

Here is my project and my problem/objective:
My app (solely created by Thunkable) currently accesses pictures from the phone's DCIM folder and uses a Microsoft Image Recognition API to identify these images. At this point, the pictures in the phone's DCIM folder are obtained from an external mini camera. I have to press a button on the camera for the picture to be transferred to the phone. For example, the app may access a picture of a watch (which was first taken by the camera), and the app will match the image to a tag, "watch" (using the API). I want to eliminate the user pressing a button on the camera every time; instead, I need some sort of proximity conditional using and Arduino ultrasonic sensor and microcontroller as well.

For example, through the Arduino (its code is in C), the ultrasonic sensor - facing an object - will instantaneously produce distances in centimeters. Simultaneously, the mini camera - also facing the same object - will be recording a video. Somehow, I need to transfer the video from the camera to the OpenCV platform (?) and I also need to transfer the distance from the Arduino ultrasonic sensor to the OpenCV platform (?). I am planning for my conditional to look something like "if the [live] distance (from the Arduino sensor) is greater than X cm, then set a time stamp for the video and pushback it to a vector". I want to be able to access all the moments in the video where the distance is greater than X centimeters: that is why I have the time stamp "vector" or list... Now, I understand that OpenCV can produce the respective individual frames/images from the video. Ultimately, I need these essential frames/images to be transferred wirelessly to a folder on the Android phone. From there, my app will take over.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could please help me in my endeavor and provide some guidance and suggestions!!!

Thank you very much!