Can My Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920V) Build Even Be Rooted?

• Replies:3
boddole
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 14, 2018, 5:49:14 PM via Website

Preamble:
Hello everyone, I'm essentially a complete novice when it comes to mobile phone operating systems and my head is spinning a bit right now. To keep a long story short: My mother came to me today and said she had managed to accidentally delete every picture on her phone (~5 years worth)...

So I've spent all night looking into the various terminology / practices for getting 'deleted' data off Android phones (Rooting, Nandroid, Bootlader, tons of recovery / root programs, etc). I'm just getting confused on all the programs for all the approaches on all the phone types (and even different builds of the same phone).

Just the question:
After doing this research, I'm not even sure if this phone can currently / ever be rooted. It seems its either got a 'rare' or new combination of system specs that no one seems to have info on, and that Verizon is apparently notorious for locking down their phones which greatly limits what I can do.

So, I'm just trying to determine if there is even anything that can be done now (if not, could it be done 'later'?) and if it can be what is the most prudent course of action.

Phone Specs:
Brand:
Samsung

Type:
Galaxy S6

Model:
SM-G920V

Carrier:
Verizon

Android Version:

Android secruty Patch level:
March 1, 2018

Baseband version:
G920VVRU4DRE1

Kernel Version:
dpi@SWHD2403 #1
Mon May 14 20:52:00 KST 2018

Build Number:
NRD90M.G920VVRU4DRE1

Hardware Version:
G920V.07

What I've tried so far:
I initially tried a recovery program - DiskDigger (which is paired with OneClickRoot), it could not root properly, so I just grabbed the 'preview thumbnails' of what it did find just so I had something. I then looked at KingRoot (did not state it was compatible), then KingoRoot for both the APK and Desktop versions which do claim 7.0 compatibility (APK goes black at 90%, and Desktop failed and would fail and crash on any second attempt).

Was going to try PingPongRoot but decided I should make a real backup first (still working on that), and noticed that while this program specific seems geared to Samsung Galaxy S6s, my build isn't listed as compatible.

Wesley Loechelt

Aug 19, 2018, 7:12:05 PM via Website

I have the same concerns. I did a little research and found that this build number will appear on all s6 phones after a certain security update. This likely means rooting will not be possible if you have an updated device. I would like to try it though.

Helpful?
Delgoth

May 27, 2019, 8:06:34 AM via Website

The G920V should have an engineering kernel to available to it for rooting purposes. Also, there should be a CF-Auto-Root package available that will actually root one of the first couple builds of Nougat for the flat verizon s6.

The G925V and N920A were the only devices never publicly fully rooted on the Exynos7420. And even those devices were close, but missed out due to configuration errors. If you are only on BL revision 4, then you still have many options open for the G920V.

Helpful?
reedjane
  • Forum posts: 13

Aug 23, 2019, 4:53:36 PM via Website

Call to service center!

Helpful?