Cannot restore chat history on Whatsapp after Re-Install!

• Replies:1
stodiolet
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 6, 2019, 12:47:28 PM via Website

I got prompted to re-install Whatsapp on my Android (Android 9) phone this morning.
Before I did so I saved a backup locally on my phone.

After re-install I got asked for my phone number and then the username.
After I entered I was moved to the chat window.. howaver all my past chats are going. There are just empty group entries.

When I read the FAQ of Whatsapp it only mentiones that upon re-install I would be prompted to restore my chat history, however this hasnt happened.

Can anybody help?

thanks,

AdrianG001
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 6, 2019, 3:27:31 PM via Website

WhatsApp doesn't detect a backup, it could be because:

You aren't logged into the same Google account.
You aren't using the same phone number that was used to create the backup.
Your SD card or chat history is corrupted.
A backup file doesn't exist on the Google Drive account or locally on your phone.

To restore a less recent local backup
Your phone will store up to the last seven days worth of local backup files. Google Drive will only have the most recent one. If you want to restore a local backup that isn't the most recent one, you'll need to do the following:

Download a file manager app.

In the file manager app, navigate to sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. If your data isn't stored on the SD card, you might see "internal storage" or "main storage" instead of sdcard.
Rename the backup file you want to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12. It's possible that an earlier backup may be on an earlier protocol, such as crypt9 or crypt10. Don't change the number of the crypt extension.
Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
Tap RESTORE when prompted.

Regards,
Adrian

Helpful?