WhatsApp data lost? New phone, same SIM.

• Replies:4
  • Answered
robm79
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 22, 2020, 1:33:14 AM via Website

Hi All,
Updated my phone from old Galaxy3 to Moto G7 Plus.
Same SIM = same phone number.
Used Moto app to copy settings/apps etc from old phone to new by bluetooth.

Started WhatsApp on the new phone expecting everything to be there. No, I had to set it up from zero, keying in phone number, name etc. Expected groups/chats/contacts etc would automatically appear, because that's how people write software nowadays, right?
Wrong. No contacts, no groups no chats

Found this site, seems I have to restart the old phone, save everything to google drive, import into new phone. Simple.

No.
Restarted the old phone, opened WhatsApp, and it tells me my account has been cancelled/moved/or something and I have to start again from zero, keying in phone number, name etc.

So is all my data lost forever?
Or is it recoverable? Presently trawling through the old phone's files looking for data.

Thanks in anticipation,
Rob

Best answer
James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Jan 24, 2020, 8:16:43 AM via Website

Have you made a WhatsApp backup on your device storage?
Check in the folder on your device storage \internal storage\WhatsApp\Databases.
Perhaps you can recovery some data there. Refer to the FAQs on the WhatsApp official website. Good luck to you.

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Helpful?
robm79
robm79

Jan 25, 2020, 6:50:06 AM via Website

Thank-you.
The data was still there, so I could re-establish my account in the old phone. Then upload all the data to Google, sign into the account on the new phone and import the data. All good...

...except...

...I trust Google even less than I trust the Chinese government (or the US government, or the Russian government) and I am really annoyed at having to upload via google account so they can read all my messages and target me and my friends for spam, ads etc.

Helpful?
Paula_Gor

Jan 28, 2020, 2:12:34 PM via Website

How I do is:

I copy the db crypt file and the backup database ( the date which is recent one ).

Install WhatsApp and uninstall ( make sure the folders are there)

remove the database with .db extension file from the folder in your new phone

transfer the .db and the recently backed up file ( the file with date month and year)

after transferring. Open WhatsApp and give. Your number , verify it and restore will work properly.

Hope it works & may help you.

Helpful?
James Watson
Alisawangly
  • Forum posts: 83

Mar 26, 2020, 6:11:58 AM via Website

You can transfer whatsapp data from Samusng to moto directly by connecting two phones to computer at the same time, use Eelphone WhatsApp Transfer to transfer WhatsApp to new phone with clicks.

— modified on Mar 26, 2020, 6:13:31 AM

Helpful?