Whatsapp media question

• Replies:1
orpington1
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 28, 2023, 10:28:01 AM via Website

My daughter has changed her mobile number and therefore now we have a new whatsapp chat.
Is there anyway I can transfer the media from our chat into our new chat or do I have to just save any photos from our old chat to my phone?

Journey Through Time
  • Forum posts: 28

Sep 29, 2023, 8:45:40 AM via Website

WhatsApp doesn't provide a direct feature to transfer media or chats between different phone numbers or accounts. When someone changes their phone number, WhatsApp treats it as a new account, and chats are tied to the phone number. However, you can save the media from the old chat and then manually send it to the new chat. Here's how you can do it:

Save Media from Old Chat:

Open the old chat in WhatsApp.
Scroll through the chat history and find the media (photos, videos, documents, etc.) you want to save.
Tap on the media to open it.
Look for the option to download or save the media to your device. This option may vary depending on your phone's operating system (iOS or Android).
Save the media to your device's gallery or a specific folder.
Send Saved Media to New Chat:

Open the new chat in WhatsApp.
Find the contact or group where you want to share the saved media.
Tap the attachment icon (usually a paperclip or camera icon) to attach the saved media.
Browse your phone's gallery or file manager to select the media you saved from the old chat.
Send the media to the new chat.
Please note that while you can manually save and send media between chats, the old chat's messages and media will still be associated with the old phone number. The new chat will have a different chat history linked to the new phone number.

Additionally, if your daughter wants to keep the chat history as well, she can use WhatsApp's built-in chat export feature to save the chat as a file and then import it into her new WhatsApp account. This won't transfer the chat to your account, but it will allow her to keep the chat history on her new number. Here's how to do it:

In the old chat, open the individual or group chat that you want to save.

Tap the three dots menu icon (usually in the top right corner).

Select "More."

Choose "Export chat."

Select whether to include media files or not. This will generate a chat file with or without media.

Choose how you want to share the chat file, such as via email or another messaging app.

Send the chat file to the new number or account.

On the new phone, open the chat file received and follow the prompts to import the chat history into the new WhatsApp account.

Remember to exercise caution with personal data and privacy when transferring chat histories, and ensure that the appropriate permissions are obtained when handling someone else's chat data.

James Watson