Alternative to android auto

• Replies:1
Salil Surendran
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 2, 2023, 10:35:00 AM via Website

I love the interface of android auto in my car headunit where the interface is split and I have maps in one half of the screen and either audible or youtube on the other half. However, android auto is very finicky and sometimes it freezes in connection mode and sometimes starts up and then freezes with a completely black screen. The only way to fix it is to reboot my car headunit. All I need is a split screen with maps on one side and a couple of apps of my choice on the other. Isn't there any alternative to android auto that can do this?

Journey Through Time
  • Forum posts: 28

Oct 2, 2023, 6:58:49 PM via Website

Android Auto was one of the most popular options for connecting your smartphone to your car's head unit for infotainment and navigation purposes. It provided a split-screen interface with navigation and apps like music or messaging. However, Android Auto's functionality and reliability could vary depending on the car manufacturer, head unit model, and smartphone.

Since technology evolves rapidly, there may have been advancements or alternatives available since then. Here are a few potential alternatives or options you can explore:

Apple CarPlay: If you have an iPhone, CarPlay offers a similar split-screen interface for navigation and apps. It's available in many vehicles and offers compatibility with various apps.

MirrorLink: Some vehicles and head units support MirrorLink, which allows you to mirror your smartphone's screen onto your car's infotainment system. This could give you the flexibility to use multiple apps simultaneously, depending on your smartphone's capabilities.

Third-Party Head Units: If you're willing to invest in an aftermarket head unit, there are options available that provide more flexibility and functionality compared to stock head units. Some of these units offer split-screen capabilities and may be compatible with various apps.

Android Automotive: This is a different platform from Android Auto and is designed to be integrated directly into the car's infotainment system, providing more control and stability. However, it may not be widely available on all vehicles.

Third-Party Apps: There may be third-party apps available on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store that offer split-screen functionality and allow you to customize your in-car experience. These apps might not have the same level of integration as Android Auto or CarPlay but could be worth exploring.

Car Manufacturer Apps: Some car manufacturers have their own in-house infotainment systems and apps that offer split-screen capabilities. Check if your vehicle's manufacturer has any specific apps or updates that can provide the functionality you're looking for.

Please keep in mind that the availability of these options may depend on your specific car model, smartphone, and the software updates that have occurred. It's a good idea to consult your car's manual, reach out to your car manufacturer's customer support, or visit online forums or communities dedicated to your car's make and model for the latest information on in-car infotainment options and potential solutions to the issues you're facing with Android Auto.