Free & fully downloadable navigation application?

• Replies:3
A S
  • Forum posts: 2

Jun 16, 2011, 4:49:19 PM via Website

Dear Android fans.

I am pretty new to the Android applciations since i bought my LG P350 mobile phone with a GPS option yesterday.

I was supriced to find out that i do need to have an internet access to be able to use the navigation option of google maps.

Could anybody tell me if its somehow possible to fully download (for free) the map in google maps (for Germany or Europe) in order to avoid internet connections each time I am looking for a place with GPS ?

Or is there another application u could suggest me offering the same service for free?

Thanks a lot for all the answers in advance and wishing u a nice day!

Many regards.

A.S.

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 16, 2011, 5:57:58 PM via Website

Hi AS,

This is a very common conundrum, which doesn't mean it's a dumb question at all. Actually, I've wondered about this a lot, too. It seems that Google Maps actually caches the map information you were most recently viewing so you can access it in offline mode. This works pretty well on my phone, although sometimes I am unable to zoom up close when offline. In the near future, Google Maps will even be offering offline navigation, though you'll have to wait a bit for that.

I can't honestly recommend any navigation app higher than Google Maps....I'm not even what its competitors are! Looks like there's one called BikeRoute and NDrive 10. But I'd go with Google Maps and just use the maps in offline mode. Whenever I do this, I'm usually able to figure out where I am.

Andreas V.
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 7,352

Jun 16, 2011, 7:57:36 PM via Website

Hi A.S.,

first of all: welcome to AndroidPIT!

The option for offline navigation with google will be released the next months. Unfortunally we haven´t got an exact date. Most navigation are are not free, sorry. I personally don´t know any... :blink:

Edit: I moved your post to the Apps board, so you can find more help and suggestions

— modified on Jun 16, 2011, 9:31:29 PM

A S
  • Forum posts: 2

Jun 17, 2011, 10:02:07 AM via Website

Hi Steven and Andreas,

Thansk a lot to both of u for the answers u have given.

Unfortunately I coudlnt make BikeRoute work but i realized it doesnt activtae my GPS receiver so i guess it does not locate my place and it always tries to connect the internet but since it does not fully fulfill my navigation requirements i decided not to use it.

NDrive 10 is also not free to use.

Thanks a lot for the tips again and looking forward to the offline version of Google maps.

Many ragards.

A.S.