"this nook cannot read this file" on .apk

• Replies:3
Agnes Lesage-Possolo
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 14, 2012, 11:24:50 PM via Website

I got a similar problem with Nook Tablet wit 1.4.0
I have managed to download an app so that my settings have been changed to accept those apps and sideload
If i go to another app market, I do install apps.
But for some reason I am limited (Amazon Apps refuses to work because I am not in the US and others like AndroidPITs have limitations which I dont understand, as on a chinese android pc they work, however not on this nook, for example Skype can not be found)
So I'd like to install from sd card
And i get this message "this nook cannot read this file"
If I mail to gmail, in nook mail I cant open attachment (nor any others)
Any workaround?

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 16, 2012, 12:39:00 PM via Website

As far as I know, the Nook can only run a limited set of Android apps as Barns and Noble wants their users to be locked to the B&N app ecosystem. Check out their site for which apps can run on the system.

There are work arounds where you can "root" you system and use a custom operating system or version of Android. This would give you access to the Android market and all associated apps but it does require a bit of technical know-how and isn't the easiest of things to do.

Check out the xda-forum for exact information on how to best root your Nook .

Agnes Lesage-Possolo
  • Forum posts: 2

Jan 16, 2012, 1:21:17 PM via Website

Thanks for your reply!
I have found a quite satisfactory way without roothing:
- I used the trick posted on xda-developer forums (and around) to sideload apps
- I used another trick provided there to use golauncher Ex as a launcher instead of nook, and get the system use it as default home add a nook home button onto it
- I finally managed to get Nook open .apk: not though the nook file explorer, but using ES explorer instead.
So it is quite satisfactory since I had a number of apps I could load from a SD card, for others I use alternative app centers,; unfortunately I can't use amazon apps for some geolocalization mlimitation (I am in Lesotho) altough it workds from here from a Chinese tablet...
Agnes

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 16, 2012, 4:51:28 PM via Website

Glad to hear it worked on and thanks for the information! That will be help a lot of people here in the forum to know that it's possible if you side load the apps.