Have you accidentally deleted all the text messages from your phone? Don't panic! You can actually retrieve your deleted messages with the right software - providing that this portion of the memory on your phone hasn't been overwritten by an app update, file download or something else. So, grab your phone and let's get those text messages back.
There are several programs that you can use to retrieve lost or deleted text messages, or anything on your phone for that matter. We tried out the software MobiKin Doctor for Android for you, which is our recommended method thanks to its speed and features. We'll walk you through the process with the software below, but you can go directly to the website if you want to see the company’s step-by-step guide.
- Firstly, download MobiKin Doctor for Android: Windows version or Mac version
- You can also check MobiKin's step-by-step guide
Which phones are compatible with MobiKin?
MobiKin Doctor for Android supports over 2,000 Android device models, check their list of supported Android devices to ensure your phone is compatible (under the Tech Specs tab). The list is extensive, so chances are your smartphone is compatible.
You can use the software without rooting your phone, though MobiKin guarantees you'll still be able to retrieve the full extent of your content if you do. To find out how to root your phone, you can follow the MobiKin method here. Please ensure that you also read our complete guide to rooting.
After installing the program on your PC and connecting the device, you will be prompted to allow MobiKin access to your phone. Within a few seconds, you should see a preview of your text messages on the MobiKin main screen, and recovering the data and backing it up onto your PC should be instantaneous. The screenshots below illustrate how the software works.
- Step 1: Once you plug in your phone, this screen will automatically appear. It will detect your device, connect to it and let you know when the process is ready to start. You can also see from the screen that MobiKin can be used for Android SD Card Recovery and as a Super Toolkit.
- Step 2: Once it is connected, your phone's data will be displayed, such as model, system version etc. and you will be given the choice of what kind of data you want to retrieve. As you can see from the screenshot below, your have several options of things to recover: contacts, photos, messages, call logs, photos, videos, audio and documents. Select 'Messages' and click Next.
Your data will be retrieved in a few moments and will be displayed as shown in the screenshot below. Here we have selected all the categories but if you've only selected 'Messages', you will only see that section.
- Step 3: Choose to only display deleted items (in case you have a ton of messages), which is easier for filtering. Either select each individual message or you can select them all by ticking the checkbox in the top bar. Next, select Recover to retrieve the lost or deleted data.
- Step 4: Once your data is recovered, you will be asked to save it directly onto your PC. Choose or create a folder where you want your messages to be saved.
Have you ever deleted or lost your text messages by accident? Did you manage to recover them? Have you got a better way than with Mobikin Doctor? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below.