- 30% of the 8 billion patents out there are used for things that already exist. So, around 2.4 million patents are for replicated content.
- $700 is the cost for filing a single patent – that's at least $1.7 billion spent patenting things that already exist. For that amount, you could launch the space shuttle Endeavor.
- 98% of the patents owned by Intellectual Ventures came from the brains of other people. Using those patents, Intellectual Ventures has collected more than $1 billion in licensing fees.
- $500 billion has been lost in profit due to patent lawsuits over the past 20 years.
- 80% of software engineers say the patent system hinders innovation.
- $0 is the amount the creator of the World Wide Web made from his invention, which he refused to patent.
(Click the graphic for an even larger view)