1. You need to download the following files:
The Android SDK for your computer's operating system
A custom recovery (like ClockworkMod)
A root tool (like Super SU)
2. Then you need to install ADB and fastboot
3. You need to unlock your bootloader.
4. Then install a custom recovery.
5. Then you can get root access.
As always, rooting your device is risky so don't come crying to us if you do something bad.
For all the steps in detail and the relevant download links, visit this tutorial by Quentin. Any questions on the process, however, should be asked in this forum thread.
Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! Important to all community members: please read before posting