DescriptionCellMapper is an application that displays advanced GSM/CDMA/UMTS/LTE low level data. Optionally, it can also record this data to allow you to create a coverage map both within the app or the website. This in turns helps others find out how good coverage is in the areas mapped.
CellMapper works on both tablets (with or without radio) and cell phones. The map is available in Android 2.2 or later due to Maps API only supporting this version of Android or later.
- Displays map of mapped (or calculated) towers, and currently connected tower
- Displays advanced CellID info (LTE: RSRP, RSRQ, SNR, CQI, Timing Advance for LTE-TDD. CDMA: ECIO, EVDO ECIO, SNR. UMTS: PSC)
- Advanced processing of data if is uploaded to the site (per sector coverage of cell tower, signal trails, advanced cell tower location triangulation) (optional)
- Local calculation of cell tower points (enable feature in Change Provider dialog)
- Support for both Google Maps and OpenStreetMaps
Note: The data on the site and within the app is generated once a day. Locally calculated (less accurate) data is available instantly from within the app.
Currently supported networks:
- CDMA (limited, many phones do not implement the API correctly)
To start contributing, simply go into the Settings screen and enable "Live Upload." Once this is enabled, simple press the home button and CellMapper will run in the background and send data as you move. You can always close CellMapper by using the menu and selecting exit on the main screen.
On the Nexus 5, you can map any network that the hardware supports. To do so, simply run the app with no SIM card.
Alternatively, you can also go into Settings -> More... -> Mobile Networks -> Network Operators and choose a network that you cannot connect to. This will trigger the device to scan all networks.
For more fine grained control, you can dial the number *#*#4636#*#* which will bring up a secret menu. Then go to Phone Information and find the dropdown to select GSM Only, WCDMA Only, or LTE Only.
The above will result in temporary loss of services, please ensure you write down the previous setting to restore connectivity.
View your results at CellMapper.net