Description*NOW INCLUDES UPDATED FEATURES!
The Macquarie Complete Australian Dictionary app is both international and uniquely Australian, providing users with the most comprehensive, authoritative and up-to-date reference of Australian English. The app answers the needs of users on matters of spelling, pronunciation and usage for the complete record of English as it is used in Australia, from the colourfully colloquial to the highly technical.
Based on the complete Macquarie Dictionary Fifth Edition and equivalent to a 1900 page book retailing at A$130, the app includes:
• Over 210,000 definitions
• Over 121,000 headwords and phrases
• Over 13,000 encyclopedic entries
• 22,000 word origins or etymologies
• 114,500 IPA pronunciations
• Illustrative phrases
• Extensive usage notes
* Simple and fast search
* Fuzzy and wildcard search options
* Voice search
* Favourite words (new)
* Search history (new)
* Cross-reference links (new)
* Word of the day (new)
* Options to share content (new)
* Ability to adjust text display size (new)
* Access anytime without an internet connection
Based on the Macquarie Dictionary Fifth Edition, published in November 2009, the app is completely up-to-date and features thousands of new words, phrases and definitions such as animateur, baby bump, breadcrumb navigation, celeblog, click-and-mortar, ecosophy, first-person shooter, flashpacker, freeconomics, gene bank and toxic debt.
It also includes:
• words relating to the environment and climate change — acid shock, bioethanol, climate wars, ecological footprint, ecowarrior, and global commons
• new computer words and technical jargon — advergaming, breadcrumb navigation, cybersquatting and first-person shooter
• new encyclopedic entries — Barack Obama, Barangaroo, Black Saturday, Earth Hour, Great Pacific Garbage Patch and Stephanie Rice
• words and phrases from regional Australia — black snow, hydro pole, maisonette, nointer and schnitter
This app is from the publishers of the popular, authoritative Macquarie Dictionary — Australia's national dictionary. The Macquarie Dictionary continues to change, adapt and re-adjust to reflect Australian language.
***** Macquarie, by definition Australian *****